sealed cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morebass!, Nov 22, 2004.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Anyone prefer sealed cabinets? I'm trying to decide between a GK SBX 4x10 (sealed) and an avatar neo 410 (vented). No place around here carries either so I'll be buying cold. I'm guessing the avatar is similar to other vented cabinets that I've tried (peavey, carvin, swr, hartke). I haven't played a sealed one in a while but am thinking it might fit me pretty well now. I like a tight, warm sound for blues, classic R&B and funk. I play 4-string, mostly fingerstyle, and slap a little too. Volume is a concern too as I'm guessing I might need 2 of the SBXs whereas one avatar might do it alone for me. Our stage volume is pretty loud. Any thoughts?
  2. Ported will be about 3db louder, which is a big deal. Sealed has a smoother roll off to lowest octaves, but you lose the back wave.

You need volume. look at sensitivity values- the higher the better. A 410 should have at least 102db @ 1watt/meter (whatever that means) if I am correct.

I always wondered if that standard is an accurate way to measure a speaker or cab's efficiency.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love my sealed Bergie 6x10 for the very reasons you quoted. In fact I play 5-string thru mine.

I can't advise you regarding the volume issue, but I'm guessing you'll prefer the tone of the sealed cab.