Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sealed cabs for tube amps - what is on the market?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N*Joy, May 10, 2005.

1. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I know that the Begantino NV series are the dogs doobries but there's no UK retailer and they would probably be over expensive for me anyway.
    Who else makes sealed cabs? I can't find anything from numerous web searches and even manufacturers sites often are not clear.
    It's for an Ampeg V4 by the way, so a bit more than 'just out of interest'!

2. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Off the top of my head:
    GK 8x10
    Ampeg SVT-410HE
    Ampeg SVT-810E

Not a whole lot out there from what I could find either. :meh:

3. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Useful to know that the standard ampeg 410 is sealed too - that's pretty easy to find here (although the HLF seems to be the cab of choice here in the UK of late!). Thanks.

4. remember the ampeg 6x10 too

5. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Nope, the 6x10 is ported.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Can I just ask, why does it have to be sealed?

7. Ah right, just checked thier, neither it is,damn, could have sworn it wasnt ported

8. marshall VBC (valve bass cabinet) 4x12" and 8x10"
    ampeg 4x12" (think it´s closed)
    GK has a closed 4x10" without tweeter.

but if you´re planning to use a 4x12" and not being consearned about hi-fi sound. just get any used 300w+ cab that sounds ok (marshall, laney, mesa, peavey...)
    i know a guy who use to dubble on bass´n guitar, using his tripple rectifier+ 4x12" mesa guitar cab. sounds cool.

another thing would be to get a 1x15"(ported) and even get someone (if not D.I.Y) to build a closed 2x10" or 1x 12"?

by the way, why do you want a closed cab?

9. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I want to try out sealed vs ported with an all valve head given a few people say it makes a difference when using valve/tube amps.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I came here to recomment the Berg NV cabs but oh well. I can add to this point though. I picked up an old ampeg v-4b recently and only had my ported HT Berg cabs to use with it. The rig sounded great and it was really loud. Since then I have purchased a berg nv 610. The major difference in performance was that when the ampeg got real distorted the cones in the ported cabs started jumping around a bit much for my liking. The sealed cab keeps the cone movement to a minimum. The sound is a little tighter with the sealed cab too. They both sound great though.

11. Why don't you just DIY? I guesss they say that valves are more linear down low, electrically speaking and sealed cabs are smoother down low, acoustically speaking. It would be interesting to see what the engineers say.

But I would want the extra 3db of volume down to tuning freq regardless of the amp. A good ported design is smooth down low. I also keep thinking of the EA's because they use transmission lines which have supposedly interact much better with the amplifers in the lower octaves. It seems the the sound quality of sealed comes at the price of volume but with a TL design, you get volume and smoothness.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont think sealed cabs sacrifice volume for tone at all.

The low frequency range has been of interest to me lately. I used Acme for a while and since I have been going to cabs that have less and less of a low end extension. The lows of the sealed cab sounds more natural to my ears. While the ported cabs do sound a bit deeper I have not found that to be particularly useful especially at a gig where deep = boom in many cases. To me the sealed cab has a "seamless" sound to it. Its quickly becoming my favorite.

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Bag End makes two cabinets--the S15B-D (15") and S18B-D (18")--that have removeable port covers. I used to have an S15B-D with a 400w EV 15B, and it sounded great. I used it with a GK 400RB with the port uncovered and it projected really well. I'm not sure how they'd work with a tube amp (or how easy they are to get on your side of the puddle) but they are quite efficient. Bag End's sealed ELF/INFRA subwoofers are truly remarkable but are expensive and require a separate processor.

Also Trace Elliot used to make cabs with removeable port covers. Now that the brand is being resurrected by Peavey they might start to make them again. I recently got an '88 GK 200MB-- a 1-12" combo with a small, sealed metal cabinet--and I really like its tight response.

14. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’ve been wondering how a sealed cab would sound with my tube amp (DB359) as well. Tube amps tend to have higher output impedance that SS amps. I’ve found this to be very noticeable with the DB359. This causes the cab to behave much differently than when used with a SS amp. This is much of the reason why tube amps sound muddier than SS amps.

Sealed cabs are more forgiving of a higher output impedance amplifier than ported cabs. With a sealed cab, a little extra output impedance will boost mid to upper bass response and reduce cone damping a little (tighter response) – sounds like 60's rock and fingersyle funk - did anyone use SVT's then??? With a ported cab the extra impedance will cause a dip in the mid bass region, and a boost a little higher and lower.

A good sealed cab always has better transient response than a good ported cab, and may be a good solution for some players using SS amps as well. It really comes down to how low you really need to go. I don’t think you can reproduce a low B fundamental with a practically sized sealed cab. Even the E on a 4 string is pushing it. My guess is that most commercial sealed bass cabs start to roll off around 60Hz or higher. Not that this is necessarily an issue. Like Metron’s pointed out, strong low bass is more often a problem for a lot of rooms.

Transmission line cabs theoretically have even better transient response than sealed cabs and are known for good low bass. They have more even impedance characteristics than sealed or ported cabs. I’m not sure how sensitive they are to amplifier output impedance.

- John

15. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Interesting replies - thanks to all for chipping in with decidedly more technical knowhow than me! As for DIY, lets just say it's not a strong point of mine ;)

I hadn't thought of trace elliot cabs to be honest - forgot about the two tuning ports that could be blocked up. Thank again.

16. strah

strah

Oct 1, 2004
    Stockholm/Sweden
    I have a Trace 1248 and it is sealed. It's pretty nice together with my V6. Been wanting a 6X10 or 8X10 but I can't seem to make up my mind.

17. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Is that the tasty green cloth 4x12 they made to match?

18. Hmm, im gonna have to try my SVT II on s sealed cab . ..

19. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Wow, I can't agree with this more. It's like you're inside my brain, interpreting my thoughts.

I use a '73 Ampeg V4 head through an Ampeg 8x10 and the tone with my Geddy Jazz is wonderfully vintage, especially when you start driving the power section hard. Good stuff! :cool:

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been looking for a sealed cab to use with my tube amps/heads. Of the products currently on the market, it seems like the Bergantino NV line is tough to beat. My personal favorite is the NV215, but I can certainly see how someone might prefer the NV610 or NV425. The three cabs offer three interesting - and sufficiently unique - takes on the "New Vintage" sound.

However, as I was getting ready to plunk down some cash on an NV215, Steve Azola offered to sell me two of his "Super Wizzy's" - custom 2x12's he made using Wizzy drivers from EA. These have ports, but Steve also made plugs for them, and says that with tube amps, the low end is much more controllable using the plugs (which can, of course, be removed when playing through SS amps!).

Here's a shot of all three of Steve's Super Wizzy's (and some other tasty gear!):

[​IMG]