1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sealed enclosures w/15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by u84six, May 20, 2011.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Does anyone know of some fairly lightweight cabs that are sealed with single 15" speaker?

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    I wish ...

If one did exist, and it was 4 ohm ... and Jim Bergantino made it ....

it would be a GREAT single cab solution for SVT users :smug:

3. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I agree. And that's exactly why I'm looking for one. :)

4. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Although, I bet the AE212 would sound great with an SVT-CL. I wish my local stores had them so I could try it out.

5. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I'm still trying to find a solution that would be easy for me to move around and also sound good with SVT-CL. I can't fit 610/810 in my little car.

6. why a sealed 15" vs a ported one? You could do the DIY route w/an Eminence C2515 15" neo, it's 4 ohms and takes 300 watts thermal. Looking at some of the suggested cabinet configurations you might find something that'll work for you, but honestly, there's no real advantage to sealed vs. ported, you're just losing low end gratuitously.

7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

The EV-TL606 cab uses a single 15L and is pretty small and lightweight. It has a shelf type port that is designed to be either open or plugged.

EV built some but the older Mesa Diesel cabs were the same design and speaker.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders Plans/TL606 Builders Plans.pdf

8. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I've always used sealed cabs with my SVT-CL; I'm just afraid that a ported cab will sound muddy.

9. if you tune them correctly it won't be an issue. Let WinISD be your friend :D

10. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    The problem is that the impedance won't match with the SVT-CL if I want to use only one cab for rehearsal.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    a properly tuned ported cab won't be too muddy.

since you're going to be using it with an svt-cl, though, i would skip the pf115 since it's 8 ohms. not a good idea to run an 8 ohm cab with an svt. i've done it with rentals and it's been fine, but it can stress out the transformer and tubes to do so.

12. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    What would you do in my case, where I want to bring one cab to rehearsal and 2 cabs for gigs, but be able to move them around easy enough (fairly lightweight)?

I generally like deep, warm tones, and not so much tinny pops.

13. DIY, it's the only way I can get (close) to what works for me and in a financially friendly fashion.

14. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    The Acoustic B115 is sealed. Yeah, I know, all the info sez it's ported. There was a thread on the Acoustic board awhile back with this post, from (I think) someone at the company.

>>All~

There were several proto versions of this cab floating around, some ported, and others not, and in different sizes. We decided that the best performance from this enclosure and driver would be in a sealed configuration rather than ported, as previously indicated.

Therefore, the B115 enclosure is sealed, and there is no provision or benefit which would be derived from a port with the driver that comes standard with the enclosure. There is no modification that is recommended or suggested, and changing the enclosure would void the warranty, so please do not do so!

All previous information and specs remain unchanged with the exception of the ported vs. non-ported issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. <<

15. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Personally, I'm not really interested in building a rig if I can just buy one that suits my needs. On the other hand, I hear good things about those fearful cabs. Not sure how to go about acquiring one of those without worry about warranty, etc.

16. that's fair. If you're interested in something that's considered close to the fEARFUL 15/6/1 design then you may want to consider the Avatar 153, then you've got it ready-made commercially complete w/warranty.

Frankly I've not found much in the commercially-made dept that works for me in terms of form, function, performance, and that all important issue of price. But that's just me, I'm an engineer and rather blame myself if it doesn't quite work out :meh:

17. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I can understand that, considering that most bass players have a lot of trouble finding the sound they hear in their head. :) I've been playing for 25 years and I still have a tough time getting the sound I want unless I use equipment that weighs 300 lbs. :) I suppose I can deal with my SVT-CL, but I really need to find some cabs that I can lug around easily but still sound great with the head.

I've been looking for months, and so far the Fender Pro series has sounded the best to me. Unfortunately, they're really expensive and heavy when I know there are lighter and less expensive cabs out there, only I can't test them with my head. :(

18. Sorry, didn't see it was an SVT-CL you were trying to push...

19. maybe save up a bit and make a pilgrimage to one of the big bass supply mecca's that would be closest to you? They'd likely even have the SVT-CL head so you don't have to lug that (but bring your bass!). There's major one's in Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, SoCal, etc. Kind of a pain, but as you obviously know, getting the tone you hear in your head is a life-long work in progress and takes effort. I've played for almost 40 years and every so often I feel I get a glimmer, but like a mirage it.......:(