1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sealer Coat under Stain?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blipndub, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I'm about to embark on my first transparent finish. It's an alder body that is I believe raw. I want to put a dark transparent red stain from stew mac, the vintage cherry color tone, but I don't know if I should put a sander/sealer coat under it or if that will not allow the stain to penetrate. I've filled wood with straight nitro lacquer before, but not with a transparent finish. The stew mac site seems to skip over this question in it's tutorials.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    stain first then seal

3. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    If you are using the ColorTone Concentrated Liquid Stain, you can either mix it with water to stain the bare wood to your liking. Apply 4 coats of S&S to lock in the coloring, level sand with 400-600 with no shiny spots and matte sheen. Apply lacquer top coats.

If you mix it with alcohol, then apply 2 coats of S&S, level sand, repeat and level sand with no shiny spots seen and a matte sheen. Then mix the color with alcohol to desired color and spray on, as you would with a toner. The more coats, the darker in coloring it will get, but still transparent. Apply lacquer top coats.

Use same alcohol schedule, if using a lacquer mix.

4. I'm trying to emulate a gibson vintage cherry color of a les paul that I have, it's mahogany and I'm sure they used black sealer before the red, would that work with alder or should I just add coats of stain to get the darkness I want?