sealing a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboysam, Aug 16, 2004.

1. would sealing the ports in a 4x10 cabinet give it a more "vintage" tone? and if so how would one go about doing that?

Also does anyone know where i can find some 2x15 cabinets, they seem to be getting harder and harder to find, i know of the Ampeg, Bergantino and the Eden, any other manufacturers buildingthem these days?
  2. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

I don't know about one or anything, but the best way to seal a box (IME) is to use Liquid Nails along the inside joints.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Sealing a ported or vented speaker cab would change the overall sound of the cab, and not necessarally for the better! Speakers are matched with cabs and some speakers have longer excursions than others, meaning they push more air backwards and fowards than others. The air has to escape somewhere, thus the port or vent. Sealing a cab that should be vented may cause the speaker surround to rip due to back pressure.This happened to me with a custom speaker box with 3x10 inch J L audio speakers in my car's trunk. I would say just get a sealed cab!
  4. the problem with liquid nails is that it sets hard, so when the air pressure inside the box causes everything to flex, joints with liquid nails get more stressed. the box then unseals.

for better results, use silicone gel, which will flex with the box. that is, if you want to seal ports at all. i'd say look for a different cabinet or amp if you want a different sound, however.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    IMO, tweeters are a bigger threat to "vintage" tone than a ported box.

I'd recommend that you use a dense foam material to plug the port(s) so it's easily reversible if you don't like it. Mfrs of home stereo cabinets have done this with their commercially available enclosures.

Hartke makes a couple 2x15s. You could contact Low Down Sound in Ferndale, MI (a N/NW suburb of Detriot). I'm sure they'd be happy to build you a 2x15 in their cabinet shop. It's a long drive down the 401 to go pick it up though!

Mesa did, Crate did, Fender did, Sunn did, etc. There should be tons of those available on the used market.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  7. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    I would use a towel, I had a 2 10 box in my friends car, one box with two subs inside(not divided inside), and two ports for each sub side, it sounded awful with them free, and covered, but when i only plugged one port, it sounded great, so there is a happy medium you have to find
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    So the guy that designed the cab guessed the porting, set it too high, and you fluked the fix by blocking one port, effectively lowering the tuning frequency.

You know there is some science you can apply here rather then just guessing. If you know the speakers's T/S parameters, you can design a proper cab. That includes wether or not the speaker works best in a ported or sealed enclosure.