1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sealing an Ampeg SVT 410 HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Remus_Redbone, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    I'll pose the question first, so reading the rest of the post will become optional;
    Has anyone sealed up an Ampeg SVT 410 HLF to see what it sounds like? Is it similar to the 410HE? The stock cabinet is puffy pillow LOW without much midrange, so I was thinking about sealing it up to see if it becomes a little less "sub" and a little more punch. I know some speakers are compatible with both ported and sealed applications, but I don't know if the HLF speakers are. There's some effort involved with just getting the grill off, so I thought I would get a readout from someone who has expended the effort already.

Optional reading.....
    Ok, the reason I ask; I have an old Peavey 410TX cabinet that I've owned for years. I've removed the inductor of the crossover to get more mids, and reinstalled, I exchanged the speakers with a TVX to make it a 4 ohm, so it's been in the "lab" before.

This week, I found that the lower half of a plastic gallon jug fits into the rear port perfectly snug, so now it's a sealed cabinet. It actually sounds pretty good sealed up. It lost some low end, but it gained some medium punch in the mids and upper mids. It reminds me a little of the Ampeg SVT 810 I got rid of before my impending back surgery....

Did I pull all the speakers and seal around the frame? No. Did I pull the handles and the control panel out and seal? No. Did I change out the input jack in the control panel for a sealed unit? No.

However, I can pull the "half jug" out of the port, and it's back to the original cabinet tuning. That won't be the same with the Ampeg should I choose to try it sealed up.

2. The only thing I have to offer is that, actually, the grill is easy to remove and you could probably find some plumbing item (like a Gripper from Cherine Industries) to fit in the ports. Reversible.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Won't hurt to try, just don't do anything you can't undo....meaning temporary plugs to start with. And yes, it will take away some boomy bottom, making the mids appear to be more prominent.

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Trace Elliot use to allow you to plug the ports on their cabinets. They even had factory port covers. It changed the tuning of the cabinet for good or bad. :D

5. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    My plan is to use some type of plug I can pop in & out to do some A/B comparison. I was really checking to see if anyone said "don't bother, sounds awful". I am going to do something that is easily reversible. We'll see how it works....

6. Hmmm. Wonder how this would work on a 610HLF....

7. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    I played through one of those years ago. I wasn't impressed by the sound, but I thought the idea was cool.

8. Giggity.

9. Could be the best thing to ever happen to a 410HLF!

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I thought the Trace 410's were pretty cool that had the front ports mounted to the outside of the grill. You could move them in and out, thereby changing the box tuning and getting a pretty wide variety of flavors. It's one of a few things that peaked my interest and made me start learning about all this speaker/box design stuff.

11. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
  12. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    This is the kind of info I was looking for. This tells me a couple things; the speakers in the cabinet are not of the variety that perform well in both a ported and sealed cabinet. The other thing it tells me is it's probably not worth my effort to try it. I'm not going to get any different result without changing speakers, & I'm not going to that length to change the cab. Cheaper and easier to sell it and try something else.

Thanks for the feedback.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are right. The speakers in the 410hlf have an extended rear plate for more cone travel, thus more deep lows.

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I guess that cab just can't be saved from its awfulness..

PawleeP likes this.