Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sealing off the edges of my bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by hateater, Oct 16, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Kay bass- plywood top and back. I would like to "seal" the edges around my bass since they are down to the bare wood almost the entire way around. What is an effective way to do this without making the bass look like total arse?

peace be with you

matt

2. luthierbass

luthierbass

Jan 2, 2005
    theres a great way to seal the edges that you can do yourself at home. You can use superglue. Lots of luthiers use it on basses and guitars.. plus it darkens the wood a bit so it doesnt look very exposed. laters man

3. Really? I was actually told to never use any type of glue other than hide glue on an insturment. I hear that any other type of glue shouldn't be used because it is more brittle and that hide glue is able to move with the insturment. Am I wrong?

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I think he means wicking the glue into the wood to protect the edges, not gluing the seams. I did something similar when I was restoring an old King laminated bass that had been severely abused by high school kids.

5. luthierbass

luthierbass

Jan 2, 2005
    yeah just get a chopstick and shave some of the tip into a spatula shape, then dip the stick into the glue and kinda paint it on to the edge. But never use it for the seams.