Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sealing the body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teej, May 14, 2005.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What kind of sealer should I use to seal the body? If it helps, I'm going to finish it with an automotive acryllic lacquer.

2. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    AHHHH!!! SEALING?!?!?!

I would guess just standard sanding sealer, but I really dont like the stuff. i use polyurthane (mispelled). it seals the wood but lets it resonate. Lacquer acts as a dampener because it doesn't give and bend.

think of it this way: Polyurithane is like putting on a rubber glove. protictive, but mobile. Lacquer is like coating your hand in superglue for protection

just food for thought.

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'd like to use poly but I can't find it in this particular color I'm looking for. But standard sanding sealer? Great, thanks!

4. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    don't quote me please. and as far as sanding sealer goes, i'd also think it'd have to be clear.

5. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I can't think of a better way to kill resonance than to cover something with a ruber glove.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    He's got a point... :meh: But I understand what you mean, Artis... It's protective, yet flexible, like 13th century medieval battle armor.

7. Ditto, but just to clear out (no pun intended), Polyurethane is not rubbery at all, it is a very hard coating, and does not kill resonance.

8. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    it was an analogy. ;) obviously you're not going to put a rubber glove around your bass, and yes polyurethane isn't a rubbery coating, i was useing the rubber glove analogy to show that it's protective, and unrestricting.

9. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Are we saying that lacquer is more flexible than poly?

10. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    no the exact opposite.

neither of them are actually rubbery or bendy, we're just saying the poly allows the wood to resonate, unlike lacquer. just read my previous bad analogies and you'll get it... or it will confuse you more cause they're bad...

11. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    god that didn't help at all did it?