Seals and Crofts [yep - im serious0

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Aug 2, 2002.

1. I have their greatest hits album - their bassist is one of the smoothest ive ever heard - hes sensitive, yet creative and captures that unique 'bouncy bass' sound reminiscent of the early 70s. Can anyone tell me who he was and if hes still playing?
    ANother recording with similar basslines is the original Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack - very tasteful, funky lines. Any comments?
  2. S&C had studio bands if I remember right. They were part of a big tradtion of singers that had the studio/producer supply the band.
    I.E. Simon and garfunkle, Bread, and so on . . .
    Probaly was Joe Osborn or Carl Radle or Harvey Brooks or Lee Skalar.

While I am not a big fan of this music I do agree that the bass playing was very smooth and very sweat. Pino Palladino and Will Lee are some of the guys that are able to keep this style alive.

Jesus the SuperStar is great, I suggest if you haven't you rent Hair and play in on a nice stereo.
    Speaking of the movie Hair. If you can't the movie sounds track is great, the broadway one is also great but I find the movie bass to be a little funkier.
  3. ....and lets not forget the Fifth Dimension. Especially 'Aquarius'....smooth, rhythmic, funky....great stuff.:p
  4. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm a metal-head but can't help but appreciate Seals & Crofts. Their songwriting and singing was amazing. They used several bass players as the focus was on those two guys completely.
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I seen a live cut of S&C on Classic rock video's and the bass player was this guy I see all the time but I can't figure out who he is.
    He played a Pbass strapped way up high under his chin. He always has on this derby kinda hat and he's real skinny. He plays with a pick and Finger style
    I have seen him play for Hall & Oats, Carly Simon and Carol King . I think he did a stint with GE Smith and the SNL band in the early 90's also. For the life of me I can't figure out who he is.
    He's a great player, Smooth and a very groove oriented player. Anybody have a idea who he is?
  6. T-Bone Wolk.
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks Fish!
    T-Bone can play, Is he the Go to studio guy for Some label?
    Any recomended music to give this guy a listen? I have only seen him here or there on TV and video.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Didn't he used to have a column in Guitar Player or Guitar World?
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tom Wolk has also written a pretty decent bass book, Rock Bass Riffs? I think it came out in the late '70s or so...

Back to Seals & Crofts-
    I heard "Summer Breeze" last week on the Oldies station...that reminded me of the time I saw them on In Concert(a late night series back in the early/mid ' me, in those daze, that was about it as far as seeing LIVE bands).
    Anyway, this then-Hard Rock addict was impressed.
    From my recollection, this bass guy looked more like Freebo(Maria Muldaur, Bonnie Raitt) than Osborn, Babbitt, or Wolk, Brooks, or Sklar.
    Who played bass on Summer Breeze(the album) anyway?

BTW, The Isleys did a very nice job of covering "Summer Breeze"(the tune).

Joe Osborn is the guy on The Fifth Dimension stuff(usually)...that is definitely JO on their take of "Aqaurius".

Harvey Brooks sounds real good on The Electric Flag's debut + the Super Session album(Stills/Bloomfield/Kooper).
  10. Carole Kaye played on all the S&G stuff. And on every other song mentioned so far. ;)
  11. His Column, Bass in the 80's, was in Guitar for the Practicing Musician.

His book, Rock Riffs for Bass ,was available from the Amsco Music Publishing Company