Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seams opening

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hillbilly, Sep 10, 2001.

1. hillbilly

hillbilly

Aug 10, 2001
    I know that seams are going to open up at some point in a basses life. I was just wondering if anyone has any pointers for gluing and clamping.
    I've already checked out all the archives on the 2xbasslist and all other resources I have access to.
    So if anyone could share expieriences good or bad maybe others won't make the same mistakes or waste time and money learning by trial and error.
    Thanks for all your help
    Bobby D.

2. Use hide glue only.
    Anyone who wants to be known as the stupidest person on earth will use epoxy.

3. I know a guy with a beat-to-hell late 19th/early 20th century Tyolean. He's not much of a bassist, let alone a musician, and doesn't at all take care of his bass. He's fixed cracks and open seams with good ol' fashion Elmer's!

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    While luthiers typically have a heated glue pot and mix their own hide glue from flakes and water, there is at least one commercially available bottled hide glue. Titebond makes is, comes in a brown plastic bottle that looks like Elmers and others. I just picked up a bottle for a project, and went to three hardware stores before I found a fresh bottle. Hide glue goes bad after a while, and they are now marked with an expiration date on the back, so check it out. The first two stores had bottles that were all past due, and the aged glue doesn't have the holding power of the fresh glue.

There are specific clamps made for stringed family instruments - a metal rod with what kind of looks like a bass drum beater on each side. You can use a bar or pipe clamp, but don't apply too much pressure, and use something to cushion the clamp from the finish.

5. Kolsteins sells a seam repair kit that includes bottled hide glue, (I prefer the granulated stuff, but the ready-made works fine also), clamps, and instructions. It has proven to be invaluable to me for emergency repairs. It's available at either Kolstein's or Lemur.
    Seam repair is not very difficult, just use the glue sparingly,make sure the surfaces are clean, and don't make the clamps too tight.