1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sean Malone - Gordian Knot

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I've recently discovered Gordian Knot and I really like it, I'm finding it very difficult to find out any info about Sean Malone or Gordian Knot. From what I understand is it basically the 'Sean Malone band' with other session musicians?

I'm just after some more info really on what Sean Malone's done and what everyone else views on him are.

2. There are a lot of Sean Malone fans here at TB, and I'm definitely one of them. Gordian Knot's two albums are collaborative efforts between him and other session musicians, but also other musicians from the likes of Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, and Watchtower. It is essentially his brainchild, but the efforts of the others involved help make it as powerful a sound as it is.

Sean was also (hopefully will again be in, but doubtful) Cynic, a progressive metal band that I rank above Dream Theater and DGM, and a handful of other things.

IIRC, he's spending most of his time now teaching, but according to the most recent post on his blog, he is doing some writing, so we'll see what happens there.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Interesting stuff.

You got any idea what gear he uses?

4. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    During the Cynic era he was using a Kubicki factor fretless.

He now use a Gary Willis signature bass and also some chapman stick.

I think I've read somewhere that he used ampeg amps and cabs.

5. I don't know exactly what gear he plays, but I know he's a big fan of the Chapman Stick (which I want but know I can't really justify) and has a monstrous fretless tone.

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    do you know if its the older cheaper GW or the new £1000+ version?

I know he uses the stick a lot on that GK album that I've got

7. Sean Malone is one of my favorite bassists and composers. The
    two Gordian Knot albums are among my favorite CDs of all time.

According to his blog he will be joining them at the Wacken Open Air and it seems he might be playing on the upcoming second Cynic album after all:

http://smgk.blogspot.com/2008/03/re-focusing.html

It would be great if I could finally see Sean in a live setting at last. Although Chris Kringel (who took his place originally and played with the band on the 2007 reunion tour) is really good, too.

8. And by the way, the first Gordian Knot album evolved out of a band that never really happened. I think Malone, guitarist Glenn Snelwar and drummer Sean Reinert (another one of my favorites, also a member of Cynic) were part of that band along with a vocalist. When that didn't work out, Malone reworked the material into purely instrumental pieces.

9. That's pretty cool, although I think Chris did and would do a great job if he continued to be in Cynic.

10. The original GWB-1. Another great project that Sean's been a part of is "OSI", the Moore/Matheos/Portnoy sideproject with Sean on bass and Chapman Stick (he's on credited as a writer and band member as he couldn't write with them and had to fly in his tracks Pro-Tools style) and Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson guesting on the first album. Amazing "let's make true Progressive music" and not the "I solo, you solo, we play in unison, we play in harmony, and then with double bass!!..." prog genre. :smug:

11. dannoman

dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
  12. Malone is about 25% of what made me pick up the bass. Although I like Gordian Knot, I think the best work he's done is with Cynic. If he's truly going to play on the new album, I'll be extremely happy!

13. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
  14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I freaking love his work in Gordian Knot. :)

15. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Indeed one of the best. His work with Aghora is actually what inspired me to go all fretless.