Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sean Malone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by aristotle chang, Jun 11, 2003.

1. aristotle chang

aristotle chang

May 25, 2003
    I just got gordian knot's Emergent CD and Its a really cool disc. I'm curious as to what tuning Sean Malone uses. it sounds like he plays below a B on some of the songs (could just be a lack of time training my ears) and I was also wondering how many strings he plays on. and while im asking random questions, what are some other good bands in the same or similar style of music that you would all recomend?

2. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'm an avid SM fan and I can't recall ever seeing anything stating that he uses anything other than standard tuning.. He could, but I havent heard anything that would suggest it..

Here's some more of his stuff to check out..

Gordian Knot ( First CD )
    Cynic: Focus
    O.S.I: Office of Strategic Influence
    Cortlandt ( Not sure if this is under the Gordian Knot monicer or not.).

Great bassist!!

As far as similar bands.. Check out

Tribal Tech
    Spiral Architect
    Zero Hour

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I met Sean malone once, I think it was 1997, he was playing a lined fretless kubucki factor back then, he was awesome.Very nice guy, a freind of mine took his slot in Dreamtime, I will try and get his e-mail for you.:)

5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    His email is on his website.

www.seanmalone.net

I've found him to be very cool in our correspondence; very quick to reply and writes a whole lot.

Really cool guy and one of my favorite players.

6. Sean_Malone

Sean_Malone

Aug 29, 2003
    Thanks everyone for the kind words...I thought I'd chime in to say that I use a 5-string with standard tuning; low B up to G. I used a Kubicki ExFactor fretless exclusively up until the Aghora CD, for which I used both the ExFactor and a GWB1. I've since had a fretted neck made for the ExFactor, and use the 5 string as my main bass. I've always played fretless, but now have a fretted, bringing the ExFactor back into service; but it's only when someone specifically wants a fretted part - I just prefer fretless.

I have two Grand Sticks, one 5+7 standard tuning though with the bass side up an octave, and another 6+6 standard tuning with a lowered 4th on the highest bass string.

Best,
    Sean

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sean, hey what's up! didn't know you were a member here...welcome aboard...and great music, man...really cool stuff

8. Sean_Malone

Sean_Malone

Aug 29, 2003
    Thanks Neptoon - recent member, nice to see such a thriving online bass community....

Sean

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Welcome to Talk Bass Sean! Great to have you here.

10. Sean, I am currently in Springfield Oregon with my father....health problems!

Eugene is very close!

Welcome to TB.

;) Treena

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hi Sean - Welcome to TB! cool to have you here.

12. Sean_Malone

Sean_Malone

Aug 29, 2003
    wow....thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome...feels a bit surreal to be honest. It's nice to see a friendly vibe in a public BBS; rare thing these days.

Best,
    Sean

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It's just cool that through this medium we're able to interact with those who influence and inspire us.

Really glad to see you here!

:)

14. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    It is refreshing to be on a BB where people aren't debating about "Worst Drummer/Bassist/Guitarist/Album of all Time". I never really noticed it, but TB is probably the most positive music BB I've ever been on.

Welcome to TB!