1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Search Feature

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by lrhbass, Jun 10, 2014.

1. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    The old search worked a litttle smoother and somewhat faster!

2. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Also, the search comes up in no order that I can discern, dates are all over the map, not sure if there is a field to sort...

I'd love to search classifieds for just what I am looking for, say Gretsch, I can specify titles only, would be nice to sort by date posted. Is that feature there and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The new search feature is actually way more powerful than the old one. I'll illustrate with a couple of screenshots how to do the search you mentioned. First, click on the search window, then click "more":
    Search Box.

That will take you to the "Advanced Search" screen. From there, just check off the criteria you want: keyword, forum, most recent, etc.:
    Advanced Search.

Once you get used to it, most people find the search engine much better than the old one.

gsquare and paul like this.
  4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Do what Chris said :) FYI, search results are sorted by "recency weighted relevancy". In other words, results are sorted by relevancy (how closely terms match, how often they're used, if they're in the thread title, etc etc etc), with bonus points given to content posted in the last year.

gsquare likes this.
  5. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Do what Chris said :) FYI, search results are sorted by "recency weighted relevancy". In other words, results are sorted by relevancy (how closely terms match, how often they're used, if they're in the thread title, etc etc etc), with bonus points given to content posted in the last year.

gsquare likes this.
  6. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    That was EXACTLY what I needed.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It took me a minute to find how to do advanced searches at first. IMO the "More" button should say something more descriptive, like "advanced searches" or "more features" or something. No matter. Once you find it, you discover that it's a really nice search engine.