Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

search for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pippin, Dec 29, 2005.

1. pippin

pippin

Dec 29, 2005
    santa cruz,ca
    I want to buy a good but realtively inexpensive upright to back up my fellow uke players and for home use and maybe if I get good again, play some gigs. I played a kay for about 10 years in the 60's but hadn't touched an instrument til 2 years ago when I got a uke and then added a cello which I currently use as a mini-bass. my research leads me to the engelhardt line but I can't find one in my area to try and I hate to drop $1000+ on an untried instrument.
    anyone know of any anywher ein the bay area/monterey/san jose.
    also I will be in the Phila are 1/4-6/06 and could arrange my schedule to visit such a base.
    Or does anyone recommend another make for between $1000-1500.
    thanks

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Check the newbie links, there is a wealth of info there. You might have to up your budget, your really hitting rock bottom in the upright world. It is hard to find a good upright under 1500. They can be found though...

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check also www.bassesonline.com. That's Steve at IDEAL MUSIC. You will more than likely want to have the bass "tweaked" by a local luthier after it's shipped to you (or you pick it up). The $750 Roma seems a sweet deal.

But Gage has a Strunal Hybrid for (I think) around $1800 and that's fully set up and tweaked, good strings, tailpiece cord, adjustable bridge etc. NYC is a short train ride form Philly and (particularly at Gage's) you could put your hands on a lot of different instruments.

4. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    According to Gage's website, the model he is offering is a Strunal 50/4 with his tweaks and set-up. This model, according to their website, is all laminate with ebony trimmings. I confirmed this with the local Strunal distributor in Mountainside NJ.

BTW, I bought one (not from Gage though) I feel that for the money you can't beat it!