1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

search for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pippin, Dec 29, 2005.

1. pippin

pippin

Dec 29, 2005
    santa cruz,ca
    I want to buy a good but realtively inexpensive upright to back up my fellow uke players and for home use and maybe if I get good again, play some gigs. I played a kay for about 10 years in the 60's but hadn't touched an instrument til 2 years ago when I got a uke and then added a cello which I currently use as a mini-bass. my research leads me to the engelhardt line but I can't find one in my area to try and I hate to drop $1000+ on an untried instrument.
    anyone know of any anywher ein the bay area/monterey/san jose.
    also I will be in the Phila are 1/4-6/06 and could arrange my schedule to visit such a base.
    Or does anyone recommend another make for between $1000-1500.
    thanks

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Check the newbie links, there is a wealth of info there. You might have to up your budget, your really hitting rock bottom in the upright world. It is hard to find a good upright under 1500. They can be found though...

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check also www.bassesonline.com. That's Steve at IDEAL MUSIC. You will more than likely want to have the bass "tweaked" by a local luthier after it's shipped to you (or you pick it up). The $750 Roma seems a sweet deal.

But Gage has a Strunal Hybrid for (I think) around $1800 and that's fully set up and tweaked, good strings, tailpiece cord, adjustable bridge etc. NYC is a short train ride form Philly and (particularly at Gage's) you could put your hands on a lot of different instruments.

4. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    According to Gage's website, the model he is offering is a Strunal 50/4 with his tweaks and set-up. This model, according to their website, is all laminate with ebony trimmings. I confirmed this with the local Strunal distributor in Mountainside NJ.

BTW, I bought one (not from Gage though) I feel that for the money you can't beat it!