1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Search for a SMMH or just get a DD20?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DopplerShift, Sep 24, 2008.

1. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    I've been looking for a delay/looper pedal and it's down to these 2. I've read a ton about each, and I'm definately leaning towards the Stereo Memopry Man with Hazarai, but I will only buy used pedals and the SMMH is harder to find used than the Boss DD-20. What do ya'll think, should I pull the trigger on a DD20 or wait it out for a SMMH?

One thing that may push me towards the DD20 is if it can be run off a 100mA 9V outlet on my pedal board power bay. All of my regular power outlets on my SKB PS-45 are already used up. Can anyone confirm or deny that this can run off 100mA 9V power?

Some of the features the SMMH has that appeals to me are the longer loop time (30s). The reverse delay. The flanger, chorusy, reverb sounds. 8 memory presets.

DD-20 is supposedly easier to use. You can preset 4 or 5 (???)but they can be anything as opposed to SMMH's 1 of each. I like the delay fading out when turned off rather than immediately stopping. Is 24s of looping enough? Are there sound quality issues? Does it sound as good? Does it have too many gimmicky features?

Help please....
    :help:

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I got lucky and found a used SMMH that was pretty much brand new. For what ever reason I've stayed away from Boss pedals save the TU-2. Unfortunately I've only briefly played the DD-20, not long enough to form a good opinion.

3. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    smmh... harder to access the saved banks or whatsoever, (gotta bend down n turn knobs) but its really awesome sounding when compared to the dd20

4. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    ¡SMMH worth every penny!

5. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Okay, I just read that the SMMH can run off 9V adapters.
    How does it do on 100mA of 9V power?

6. T-bolt

T-bolt

Mar 29, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I tried both in my search for a delay, and went with the SMMH. I liked the trippier sounds you could get from the SMMH, and valued its high/lowpass filter for the repeats. The DD20 has a better implemented preset system though.

7. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    SMMH pees all over the DD20! :cool: