Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Search for Rack Bags

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm looking for a nice rack bag to house my Ededn Wt800 and a korg rack tuner. I'm thinking the gator GRB4U is a good choice, but what else is there out there that y'all like? These seem to run about $70-80, which is nice...

Quote Gator hype:"Gator’s rack bags are the perfect hybrid case for carrying your rack-mountable gear. They are constructed with close-grained plywood cabinets and are covered in padded 600-denier nylon. Threaded rail and zip-out flaps make using the Rack Bags easy for the musician on the move. Strategically designed feet allow the bags to stand up. There is also a large outside pocket for storing cables or discs. Heavy duty shoulder strap and two padded carrying handles are included."

2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    bump

3. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    A long time ago I used a Protec rack bag for my Eden amp. I felt the bag was too deep (14 inches IIRC) and therefore too bulky. Other than that, it was well built and very sturdy. I'm now just using a padded bag; no rack.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Do tell? I'm not opposed to that;)

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    bump

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Modern case company.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    They're not coming up in Google, got any info on where to find them? Got lots of links with their cymbla cases, but no direct link....

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yo Chef. I have that Gator bag and have had other bags too. The Gator beat them all in terms of quality, toughness, etc. Only EXTREMELY minor complaints I have were:

1 - The bag is not real long (front to back). My Kustom Groove Bass head literally just barely fit. Other bags I've owned and still own are a tad longer. The good news is that most other heads I had/have owned are not as long as the Groove Bass. Measure your head before ordering.

2 - They only give you 8 screws and this was with a 4U bag. Other bags I've owned gave me 12+.

Even with the minor issues above, I'd still pick the Gator above the others. It's the real deal. I got my 4U new on Ebay for $46!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7327380544

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Quad: thanks for that. I think my eden and tfb are not as deep, but I'll measure first.
    Northern Light and Sound: $48, dunno if that's shipped though...
    Your vendor still has several on ebay...$13 shipping.

10. Quadzilla

Looks like he has some more of these too. Here is a 4U for $38 (right now) --> Gator 4U and he also has a 3U for $34. If you get them at that price, it's a steal. Even at $46 that I paid, I feel that I did real well. The handles are WELL padded as is the bag. Tough material, nice large pocket, nylon zipper pulls, padded strap, etc. I'm telling you this is a GREAT bag and I've owned several. I also prefer them to hard racks because the padding absorbs the shock as opposed to transfering it to your gear. Good luck!

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I've had bad experiences with Gator racks - sure they're 1/2 the price, but 1/2 the quality too.... and heavier than my modern.

Modern Case's website seems to be down, I dunno. This is the phone # I have... 800-344-7027

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Obviously a believer folks! Thanks Quad...

13. Quadzilla

I don't like Gator's hard racks. I also have a 4U Gator roller rack (hard case) that I used for a couple of PA amps I have and I agree, it's junk, but believe me, their bag is a lot more impressive.

14. Pardon me for being new and ignorant to rack mounted equipment, but are these bags just to carry your equipment in? Can you leave the amp in the bag while you use it? It seems like they would need more airflow, and some hole in the back for cords to come out, but why else would you screw your amp into a bag if you have to take it out to play?

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yep, leave the amp in the bag. Front and rear zip open for front panel access and rear cable setup etc. Lighter than yer regular anvil type flight rack.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've tried the protec and warwick bags, and they feel rather substantial and very sturdy. yet that sturdiness comes at the price of increased weight. in which case, you might as well use a regular plastic SKB rack.

i use an Odyssey 3U rack bag. the bag is rather light, provides nice protection, and best of all, the bag itself slides off, for a cleaner look.

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The odyssey is very cool, I just wish they made a 2 space version.

I've been using the ProTecs for a while now, they're much lighter than the Warwicks.