Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Search for the 1000W Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Hey, anyone know of a 1x15'' Cab with a tweeter; with a power rating of around 1000W (or More) and an impedance of 4 Ohms?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Never heard of that. Not even a two 15 with that much power. Good luck.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could have Avatar build you one. Eminence makes a driver called the Kilomax. It's pricey, but it has all the power hanling you'll ever need. It's range is very low and kind of narrow. A single tweeter may not suffice to fill in the mid gap. Unless you get a larger mid/tweeter type setup. Anyways, the Kilomax's have an RMS hadling rating of 1250 watts. Mind, you; I've never tried them, so you are on your own as far as how good it will sound.

4. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The only cab i can think of that comes close is a 4ohm acme low-b2 but that's a 2x10. Why do you need to drive a 1x15 with that much power?

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There are sound reinforcement cabinets that meet those spec's. If you believe spec's.

High end - EAW, JBL

Low end - Peavey's SP series

Let google take a run at it, I'm sure you can find several options.

Oh yea, and my Acme B-4 will eat 1kw all day long and you won't even see the cones move but...that ain't a 15"

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's not a bad suggestion but I don't think it comes in 4 ohms?

7. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I suppose a good question to ask after power handling would be

"what does it do with that power?"

in other words, if it has 3 dB lower efficiency it will act with 1000 watts like another speaker would with 500.

Power handling isn't everything, there is always "tone", "loudness", etc..........

Not that I mean you are ignoring those, just throwing it in......

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    EXACTLLY !. MAN ! :help:

9. Avatar will not make you a custom cab. You can order their 15 cab speakerless and then load your own 15 into it. You could put a more powerfull horn in it too. I doubt you can find a 15 at 4 ohms. If you looked around the car stereo speaker manufacturers you may find something. It would be much better to go for a 2x15. May cost more but at least you can find more variety. Epifani has a killer 2x15 that can easily handle 1k watts. Expensive but absolutely prestige. There 15 can take 1k watts as well but it's at 8 ohms. Seems like a 15 sould come in 4 ohms too but they just don't.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's because for many years, pro audio amps operated at a min 4 ohm load but multiple drivers were often required to achieve the required SPL. It was easier to get your required nominal impedance with combinations of 8 and 16 ohm speakers, so that's what they made.

Car speakers are often 4 ohms because the total SPL required is no where near as high as Pro Audio so one speaker is all you need. It just kinda worked out that way.

You're probably tempted now to get a 4 ohm car speaker. Just be aware that these speakers usually sacrifice sensitivity (ie volume) in favour of low frequency response. So they go low but not loud. They are also lacking in the mids so you'd need a mid-driver of some sort to get a broad frequency response. That said, people here have made cabs with car audio drivers and have been happy with the results. It can work but it requires careful planning.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I would think that dave from avatar could put one of those eminence drivers in a 15. It would cost more, but I'm sure he could. He IS an eminence dealer. Just contact him. the site is obviously http://www.avatarspeakers.com

Try that.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    There are many 4 ohm 15's. From what I've been told it's just a matter of a voice coil swap. 1k watt don't know about but I've got a pair of 4 ohm Klipsch instrument speakers (500 continuous), have a Celestion that's 350, had a pair of JBL M 151s (300), and an Altec
    423-z (4 ohm verson of 421-8LF).

I'd look into an Epi T-310 for that power, rated at 700 but will take a lot more. The Ultralights are only what, 52 lbs? Sweet!

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Just get a 1000 watt Avatar 212. It'll sound better than a 115 anyways.

14. I'll second this motion! My Acme Low B-4 will utterly destroy most 18's and eat 15's all day long for snacks. These are full range cabs so you could sell that 2x10 of yours and have a single box that blows the doors off most anything else out there.

If you're interested in getting one on the cheap then shoot me an e-mail as I have just found two 8 ohm Series 1 B-4's for sale ($350 each). The guy also has a 2000 watt amp to power them. All you'd need is a pre-amp and you'd have a stack that could kill small children (I'm not kidding either!).

15. There is also the Eden D410XST (not a 1x15) cabs which are rated at 1000 RMS but that is at 8 ohms I think.... hmm.... guess that wouldn't matter for you if you are looking for something that is 4 ohm, but just thought I would mention it because I like eden. Oh yeah, the XST cabs are sweet too. :bassist:

Good luck in your search.

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The EVX series of EV speakers are worth investigating. The 15" EVX-155 is rated at 600 watts RMS and 1000 program, and my experience is that it's significantly under-rated.

The 18" EVX-180A is a thousand watt speaker (with size and weight to match). Currently I'm using a pair of these as my outdoor subs, but in the right cabinet they will deliver decent high end response (up to about 6 kHz).

17. COntrary to what most people on here seem to say, I think my PEavey FIrebass has a most triumphant tone, and the only reason I'm considerign this monster cab is for weight. You see, I was thinking about getting a really lightweight, portable rig( but with enough power for a gig).

I was thinking of gettign the Sansamp as a preamp and a light poweramp and one cab only. Help me out with other suggestions if you'd like.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Anyplace you'd need half that power will have a PA, so is there some reason otherwise? Even podunct little clubs have PAs these days.

19. IT was also a bit of plain old curiousity...**Blushes** If I could find a cheap poweramp that could pump out say: 450W thats should be fine...I just want a really tight sounding lightweight rig (That can take a low B)

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm starting to feel like a TB oddity. I keep reading comments like this and no-one ever disagrees. So I seem to be the only one here who has found that the bigger the PA, the louder I have to play to hear myself. From the stage I can hear the whole band pumping through the FOH speakers and it drowns out my bass rig, so I turn up. I've also found that with the big PA subs producing all that low bass, I have to cut those frequencies from my rig to balance what I'm hearing.

Anyone else ?