1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Search of the Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibme, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Gibme

Gibme

Sep 18, 2015
    I've been a member for a few months, posted on some threads before but never made one myself.

So recently i've been interested in getting a six string, but i've had some trouble on deciding which one I should get. So I want to get some opinions on my choices.

EBMM Bongo
    Shecter Stilleto Custom
    Peavey grind

What does TB think I should get, and is there any other option I should consider?

Oldschool94 likes this.
  2. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    CIMG0631.JPG
    With that kind of money, I'd highly recommend a USA Peavey Cirrus 6. I had one very briefly and it was an excellent bass – best B I've ever played, incredibly fast & low action. It looked great too. You can grab them for between $900 and $1200 pretty easily. There should be one on Guitar Center's site right now. 45 day return policy there. I returned mine because I am a 4 string guy all the way around. I still consider getting the 4 regularly, but it is 35' which I don't like on 4 stringers.

StuartV likes this.
  3. Gibme

Gibme

Sep 18, 2015
    Thanks for the suggestion! I somehow completely forgot about that even with all the talk about it. Silly me:D

Oldschool94 likes this.
  4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    There's even a really nice USA Cirrus 6 in the TalkBass Classifieds right now... :D

Oldschool94 likes this.
  5. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Just FYI, the Cirrus 4 string Bolt On is 34" scale, if you can find one.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  6. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    Thanks for letting me know, that would give the Ibanez SR1800e a good run for it's money.

7. Gibme

Gibme

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm not looking to "pull the trigger" on any basses until the next few months, as i'm in the process of moving and school. Are they still being produced or do I need to go used?

8. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    They are out of production, so you have to go used. But they've been out of production for a while. There's usually a few around at any given time. Not tearing down @StuartV though, his bass looks great, and has the selectable mid-frequency mod.

StuartV likes this.
  9. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Not to tear myself down, either, :) but I'm selling the Cirrus because 35" scale really just doesn't work for me. My main player right now is a Peavey TL-Six, which is an even older model. The TL6 is 34" scale. But, as soon as I sell the Cirrus, I plan to order a Carvin/Kiesel Roy Vogt Signature Vanquish 6. That is also a 34" scale 6 string. Basically, it is a modern version of the TL6. The TL6 is awesome, but it definitely would benefit a little bit from more modern electronics.

I doubt (hope?) my Cirrus will still be around in a few months, so in terms of 6 strings to be looking for, I would say:

Cirrus 6
    TL-Six
    Kiesel RV69K (or even just a regular Carvin Vanquish 6)

And those are all Made in America. That doesn't mean anything to some folks, but MIA is generally my preference and I know it some others', as well.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  10. Gibme

Gibme

Sep 18, 2015
    Nice bass of his indeed! Thanks for the info, even if I can't get anything right now.

11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Oldschool94 likes this.
  12. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Having just stared with a 6, (Ibanez SR506), my only gripe is what I'm seeing on a lot of the bass pics in this thread - with the wider neck + active electronics, you can end up with control dials that are, for my style, WAY too close to the pickup, and they get bumped by my knuckls when trying to slap in that region (I don't like the tone as much, slapping over the fingerboard).

So in addition to removing the pretty ho-hum flat red stain Ibanez put on the gorgeous mahogany body, I'm inclined to move those uppermost controls.

13. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    That looks pretty cool. But, with a solid mahogany body, I would definitely be inquiring as to the weight before I reached for my wallet.

And the top and back are claimed to be ebony, but that ebony is kinda funky looking. Like it has been painted or something. Definitely doesn't look like any ebony I've seen. Most ebony actually has brown streaking in it. All-black ebony is more rare and more expensive. I wonder if this has ebony with brown streaking and has been dyed to be all black. I've heard of companies dying ebony to make it all black.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Carvin. Go to their Web site and drown in options for your new custom bass for probably less than the Bongo.

15. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I can say that it is about 10 lbs.They usually have a greater assortment of sixes.That's the only one currently.

My Wolf seven is solid walnut and is 13.6 lbs. Snapshot_20151101_1.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016