Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Search query too short?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kevinlane, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Hi Paul, I wanted to do a search on DIs and the search engine wouldn't let me, even if I typed "tube DI comparrison", it would still give me the message that the search term "DI" was too short?
    Don't know if this is a bug or what, but I wanted to find posts on DIs, and nothing came up when trying"direct input"
    Is it a bug or what?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm not Paul, nor do I play him on TV, but I do recall something about the shorter the allowed query, the larger the system resources required. I think he set it at three characters as a compromise.

I think there's a thread out there - dod a search on "search" and "limit", maybe.

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    One post is sufficient, Kevinlane...

The database must build an index of all words to be searched. Including two-letter words would expand the database to a gigantic size, and increase server loads to search through it. I'm sorry -

Paul

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't that be "direct inject" ? :confused:

5. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    thanks, I've found quite a bit under "direct box"
    I guess I thought the that it might be case sensative, or the inclusion of other terms would have the limit taken care of(I geuss if I did a quotes then it would have fsearched for the exact phrase.

So OK no more attempts to search for two letter words

Thanks again

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Direct Inject" brings up a few threads...