Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

search user by location

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Eulogist, Nov 11, 2002.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I agree, that would be pretty cool. I'd also like to be able to search the gear field of users' profiles. You know, while we're wishing and all...

Leanne

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd also like to see this - we're starting to get a whole bunch of threads in BMAP about "Any musicians from ___________ on here?". A search would eliminate the need for these.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - but that relies on people filling in their location correctly on their profiles - and not stupid things like "Behind You!" or "Left Field"!! :rolleyes:

I've mentioned this loads of times - sometimes even the people asking - who's from " " don't even fill in their profiles!! And loads fo times people ask - where can I get this and don't have their location in their profile.

The only solution is to have say a pull-down list or menu of potential locations, which must be completed when people register - but I think this would be hard on Paul to enforce.?

4. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    silence ye naysayers

5. Bruce Lindfield

I think it's a good idea - but first you have to find a way to force people to put their correct location in profiles. If you can think of an easy way to do this then I think Paul should do it.

I think a lot of people would still always want to be anonymous and it's always going to be a worry to single women for example, or parents of young children, that if they give an indication of true location, then a potential stalker/abuser will work out the rest from phone books and clues in posts etc.

This is a genuine worry with the internet - anybody could be reading TB and picking off victims - this is something that has been an issue in child abductions in the UK. :(

6. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Well I'm sure that TB is anti-spam, thankfully. However, a short e-mail to all registered users could help. I had to use a valid e-mail address to get my confirmation code, so you know those are correct.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - but email addresses give no indication of actual location. And what if nobody replies? What do you do then?

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think you are missing my point big-time there - there is a huge difference between getting some slightly irritating spam and what I was talking about - i.e. people being stalked or abducted by paedophiles!!

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, perhaps not everyone fills out their location correctly, but I'm sure more people would if the ability to search by location existed.

On the whole, I think more people fill it in correctly, but I haven't exactly counted...

10. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hmm. Maybe we should have a required field:

Are you a stalker/killer or do you plan to be?
    Yes/No

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree that there should be a "search by location" field - that would help in setting up get togethers as well as informing folks about gigs.

12. Good point JT.
    I would also find it handy to be able to search the classified listings by location.

13. Bruce Lindfield

But not if they put silly things like "Behind you!" in the location field!!

14. Hi Bruce,
    It doesn't need to be hard on Paul at all, he just needs to find a website with such a pull-down list on it, display the source code, and use copy and paste ...

15. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Im just updating this request because i thought about it and searched (like a Good Boy:D )
    It would be great to do and i think even if some people were idiots then they just wouldn't be able to find out about the cool stuff.
    I was thinking of a Sydney GTG and wanted to see if i could find all the sydney siders
    If this is possible cool if not thanks for reading!

16. Bruce Lindfield

You missed my point - how does Paul force people to complete it - lose new accounts if they refuse to say....:meh: and how do you know people will do it honestly - they usually put rubbish - they're just as likely to put somewhere remote and ridiculous like North Pole, just to show how clever they are...:eyebrow: