1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(searched) Quick Funk Machine / '62 Precision question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anthony Fury, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Anthony Fury

Anthony Fury

Jan 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Does a '62 P-bass have "backwards" spinning tuning machines? Did Jamerson really have to turn his tuning keys backwards to tune up for all those hits?

I bought a '51 CIJ Re-Issue and pulled the tuners because I couldn't stand them, but thinking of using them on my Funk Machine "tribute" if the above is true.

Also, if you're bored and can tell me: what period of time / models did these backwards spinning machines start and end with? I'm so used to the 70's stuff...

Thanks!

2. Yes.
    And I love those tuners!

It's an acquired taste - standard tuners feel so awkward for me now :D

3. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    It has never been something crucial in the choice of a bass to me. Reverse tuners on a '62 would be period correct i think. It took maybe a few minutes to get used to it anyway :D

4. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    They used the "reverse" kluson built tuners till 66ish, then switched to the shaller built (I think), with the fender logo on them.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    This seems silly to me. They're only "backwards" compared to guitars, because the original Fender basses used them until the mid '60s.

I have "reverse" tuners on two basses and "regular" ones on five basses. I don't even think about it, I just automatically switch mental gears when I switch from the Fender VS '62 to the Lakland 4-94.

And which way the machines operate won't have any impact on the found or how you play a Jameson tribute bass.

John

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021