Searchin For BOOTSY>>>>

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Billy Low, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Sandberg Guitars
    I have been trying to recreate Bootsy's sound (Effects)for a while now, is there anyone out there that can make some suggestions!!!!!

Wind Me Up, Telephone Bill, Bop Gun!
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Mutron III is your best bet.
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah the eletroharmonix stuff, is what Bootsy used to get that intergalactic funk sound.
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That's a tall order. Didn't he have like 8 pickups on the space bass!? And "on-board" Mutrons!? I think Lovetone also lists him has having a Meatball. Not an easy thing to duplicate... Anybody know what fuzz or distortion he used?
  5. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Sandberg Guitars
    Yeah, Spacebass had alot of on-board stuff! I saw one picture of him where he had like four cords comming out of that thing! We now know why it's in the smithsonian's air and space museum because it was definately not of this world! :bassist:
  6. hey man any luck on the space bass tone??!?!?!

up for the down stroke anyone?

TONE??????!?!?!?!! how the hell, i love it
    its grungy-middy sounding. anyluck getting tone like that?
  7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    College Station, TX
    Last I checked he was using Chunk Systems Brown Dog fuzz and Agent 00Funk filter.
  8. but how does he get that great tone on that parliament tune?
    "i can move you" on the album up for the down stroke?
  9. billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    i remember reading that back in the day he ran 3 rigs, one for lows, one mids,one top and added effects to each of these.. lots of mutron III`s , big muff fuzz`s and octavers if i remember correctly... im sure there was the original interview with bootsy floating around on here somewhere where he explains it all...
  10. that makes sense. i remember his live in louisville album, he used ALOT of synth im guessing. but for that particular album "up for the down stroke" by parliament, he may be just using a hint of fuz and the tone might be all his space bass? (5-6 pickups hahah?)
  11. Just a guess, but I reckon if you asked Bootsy he'd say a lot of his sound was in his fingers and his attitude. A lot of people say playing expressively with a filter is all about how you play your filtered signal, rather than just stomping on the button and playing exactly the same as with your clean signal.

Of course just stomping buttons and grinning like a maniac can be a lot of fun too!!
  12. chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Before the space bass, he modded p-basses to have 3 p-bass pups, each with their own ouput.

Each output fed its own line of effects. Usually a mutron III, bigmuff, An octaver maybe, morley wah pedal, and the high's would go to lexicon units.

The amps were pretty much PA gear from the start with custom built cabinets and crown power amps. I dont know, but he may have used the ALembic F2-b preamps, which were available att.

An 00Funk sounds different than an origional mutron. Don't waste your money on the mutron III+..thats horrible. The Ibanez autowah is a good ripoff of the mutron, the 3 leaf grrove regulator is a simplified Meatball wich the meatball is a complicated mutron.

Part of his tone is a dry signal mixed with all the stuff too.