Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Searchin for some wisdom from the wise.

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Irie01, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Hi Mike.. Unfortanetly I am not very familiar with any of the music that you created, but if i am correct, you played punk?? I was watching the Sublime,"Stories, Tales, Lies and Exaggerations" and then I saw your part on there and I was very fascinated with what you said and you made some very good points about their music.I admire your thoughts. I have been deeply inspired by the music and lives of Eric,Bud and Brad. I have grown up with a love of reggae music, especially the bass and now that I am a bass player, I now have the opportunity to create my own music and bass lines. Punk(Bad Brains style) none of this pop punk, ska, blues, and jazz, i enjoy very much and I am constantly trying to expand my knowledge of differnet music as well as playing it. I admire this about the band Sublime, they are all over the place, as u said. I want my music to have these same qualities, and I am actually starting to see it.When I hear a drum beat, I play what I feel inside and it just comes out through my fingers, almost unconsiously it seems. Depending on the drum beat, it could be a fast finger picking punk-like song or a very mellow reggae groove. What I would like ask u is, as a young bass player fastly progressing, what can I do to take music I create to a level that is beyond what I all too often hear in this society.I am also interested in your input to putting together a thumpin punk song or bass line. Please let me know any of the bands you played in or what you could recomend me checkin out so that I can hear your bass playing, I would like that very much.Thanks.......

2. hey,
    the best place to start checking out watt (in my opinion) is the minutemen's "double nickels on the dime". it is a classic. from there get both of watt's solo records, "ballhog or tugboat" and "contimplating the engine room". also check out watt's post-minutemen band, firehose and their record "ragin' full on". after that get ready to buy all of the minutemen and firehose records you can get yr hands on cuz you'll be hooked! also check watt's website www.hootpage.com. if you are a fan of sublime you'll be pyched to know that their drummer has a new band w/ kurt kirkwood of the meat puppets and krist novaselic from nirvana. they are doing some shows with watt too! go to the hootpage to get the dates! hope this helped.

peace,

chris

3. Novaselic is playing again? Cool, he sort of disappeared after Nirvana, at least to me, I haven't kept up with him. He was such a great compliment to Cobain's playing, like Entwistle was to Pete Townshend.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I actually believe he was into politics for a while after Nirvana.

5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

good luck. the main key, in my opinion, is to find your own sound, your own way of putting things together so a sense of personality can emerge. there was a cat playing in the old punk days for an english band called _the pop group_ that was pretty thumpin' - incredible. great parts too, just listen to the end of "blind faith" or the intro to "forces of oppression" (both of them their tunes). I think darryl in the _bad brains_ is great also. however, you gotta reach inside and find your voice. that takes lots of thumpin' and groovin' sometimes. take chances and see what flies!

on bass, watt

6. watt

hey,

those were some happening shows - bud's a great drummer. I listened to krist much and dug on his pick techique (really good) and of course, I'm old fan of curt's guitar playing. good trio.

on bass, watt

7. watt

hi,

he had a band called _sweet 75_ where he played 12-string guitar (!) and a lady named yva las vegas played bass and sang. a drummer made it a trio.

unofficial krist novoselic page:
    http://members.tripod.com/~NYRfan25/novoselic.html

on bass, watt