1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

searchin for the truth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Hi folks

In australia, we pay through the nose for instruments - anyone who has heard my posts will know that I have paid $3800AUD for a MM SR5 lefty. American $ relates to about a $1200 instrument in my country.

Any reasons you know that we pay so much more?

BTW - my thread relating to this question was closed on the EBMM forum :eyebrow:

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Ouch.
    Mainly I think it's due to a combination of importer/dealer markups, limited numbers of sales (so wanting to maximise individual unit profits) and in amny instances, a sort of "well you can only get it from us so we'll charge what we want" attitude. I'm a major fan of supporting your community by buying local, but if I'd been you and hit with that price and wait, I would have tried to import directly myself.

Not surprised they closed your thread: many manufacturer based fora, which are marketing extensions in essence, don't actually want the hard questions asked.

3. yes,

i joined here only a cuppla days after i had made the purchase.

thanks to Tb, i know better now.

the reason my thread got closed was because I asked why it cost me $200 extra dollars for a scratchplate????

next time, i'll be able to ask my friends on Tb what to do....

4. $200???!!! Which one did you opt for?? That is truely ridiculous...

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Three letters: D I Y

;)

I think lefties almost anywhere have to pay lots more for basses.
    Especially imported ones.

6. i picked the perloid one from the catalog, but any p/g that wasn't black cost an extra $200.

i know we pay more as lefty aussies, we're twice disadvantaged. anyway, i know i'll love my SR5 when it finally arrives....

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I think you should've ordered a pickguard aftermarket :p...