Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Searching by 'New Posts in Subscribed Forums' no longer available?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by The Clap, Feb 21, 2006.

1. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Is there any way now to do searches for new posts within only the forums you've subscribed to? It was under the drop down search box in the last forum version, but is now gone and I really miss this feature! Is there any way to bring it back?

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    You don't have to subscribe to the forums you want to search in anymore - you can select those forums you wish to exclude from searches via the "edit options" page in My TalkBass (at the bottom).

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Great! That's a convenient system. My only question is how can I exclude the Lobby from New Posts searches? I don't see it listed with the other forums in the options edit page. Thanks, Paul.

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    It should be in the list, down towards the bottom... Do you see the "Lounge" forums at all in the list?

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Somewhat related:
    Can we also set the "New Posts" setting back to "previous 24 hours" (or something similar or user definable) rather than the "since last visit" it defaults to?

This was an issue one or two site updates ago because it's irritating that, if you check a subscibed thread from an email notification, the site records that as your last visit. Then, if you log in a few minutes later to do your real surfing of the new posts, you'll get like only 13 (random number) posts listed.

If there is some way to now do it like the old way? Please let me know.
    Thanks. :confused:

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'll second Phat Basstard's request! Showing new posts as those in the last 24 hours is much more useful than posts since your last visit.

I found the lobby in the exclude forums box too, Thanks Paul!!

Also, how about making the minimum time between searches shorter for supporting members? 5-10 seconds would be ideal, because I often find myself getting remanded by the board for the frequency of my searches in the course of regular browsing by new posts and doing advanced searches back to back. Just a minor thing, but i don't suspect it would put much of any extra load on the server, and supporting members aren't likely to set up any kind of harmful Denial of Service attack by way of the search function :)