Searching for a 1x18 cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonorous, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    How many are there? I know that Bag End, Hartke, and Carvin all make one. Any others? Which one has the best lows? I'm looking for something that sounds huge and thick but is still focused and not boomy or overbearing.
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    SWR Big Ben. Huge, nondirectional lows, not boomy, muddy, or tubby for the most part. Fills the room with rumble.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Peavey, Accugroove, and Bergantino all make/made 1x18's, too. I'm sure that Don Oats up at Low Down Sound could build one for you, too.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Ampeg site still shows one there...

I have little experience with 18s, but have found the Big Bens to sound pretty good...
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    bergantino made a 118? i did not know that! :bassist:
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
  7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

8. alanhasradar

alanhasradar Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been using a BagEnd S18-D for a couple years now and *love* it...Focused sound that fills in under the 2x12 very well. Rocks the low F# nicely, too! And still fits perfectly in the backseat along with the 2x12 :bassist:
  9. Trace Elliot used to do one - the might get one used on ebay or the likes. Never tried it myself, although I GAS'd after one for ages....eventually I just went with their 15" cab (the 1518)
  10. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to chase after an SWR Big Ben.
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Funkengrooven had one for sale the other day,
    -a homemade rig - scoop cabinet that acted as a horn.

However that sucker was JBL loaded. If you know anything
    about them, they are a very high quality driver. The
    price he was looking for was comparable to the cost
    of the raw drivers alone on Ebay.

You can start your own personal earthquake with one of those. The driver response curves on JBL are usually very good for their design spectrum.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    trying not to sound like a bag end salesman here. :p

yes there are some cool 18" cabs out there. I really liked the old '80s peavey 1x18 plus 2x10 cab. The big ben is pretty nice too. However, the two bag end 18" cabs (the small S18 and the big S18B) are probably the most articulate 18" cabs i've heard. the B has insane lows yet controlled. the S is no slouch in the lows, but it is not as "sub sonic". Both are amazingly articulate, and the S18B is very surprising in that regard givin its size. The first time i heard one played, i refused to belive that the amp wasn't hooked up to a pair of tens as well as the 18". I'm not kidding. The B is a monster though (although the BE S15B is almost as big). The S18 is about as small of an 18" as you'll find, being pretty much alalogous to an S15 on steroids.
  13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    it says that the TECH cabinet there is switchable from 2 , 4, and 8 ohms

whats with that>>
  14. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I used the Peavey 1810s for 13 years. While a nice heavy cabinet, the partition for housing the 18 was too small to allow it to generate any serious low frequency. They made it a little larger in the 1820 version, but it still was limited due to the lack of box volume.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i agree. to me it wasn't really an 18" as a sub, more of an interesting sounding cab. I had the deep version of the 2x15 BW cab, and really dug the deep version of the 210+18 cab (which i assume was the 1820). And yeah they were both heavy. I more thought of the 1820 as a cab with an 18 that sounded good.

If ya want to try a really serious full range cab that is stupid heavy, go find a bag end AF1. It has an 18" a 12" and a horn all time aligned in one big box. It can be biamped at 8 ohms each or full range at 4 ohms. Killer sound, but a bit too big for me. (heck i got rid of my 2x15 due to size) :eek:
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had (have, until I deliver it) an 1820, and I kept blowing the 18" Black Widow., so I got pi$$ed off and decided to replace it with the highest rated driver I could find for cheap - which happened to be the Madison Executioner (1,000w RMS!). The magnet on this driver is huge (making the cab even heavier :eek:), but whoa momma, did the low end every get deep and tight! It does like some watts to push it, but the subterranean lows that come out of this thing are astounding!

17. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I thought I was strange cause I dig 15's.
  18. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It is. I belive someone on here explained how it was possible a while ago but I can't remember the details.
  19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Just like the accuswitch? :bag:
  20. chrisb7601

Aug 30, 2005
    LOL. Lemme go grab some coffee and put my feet up..........