Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Searching for a Better Stool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by PaulCannon, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I've been using a stool in some form for over three years, and it has improved my playing tremendously. However, I've had bad luck with the stools I've owned and used. When I first started using a stool, I bought a $20 stool from a general store and attached a $30 cushion. Four or five months later, the stool's rungs decided to fall out during a performance. I'd be more embarassed, but nobody was in the audience to care.

Since then, I've been using the "Ergonomic Folding Chair." It was nice at first, because I was still unsure about my own preference towards chair height, so it was nice to experiment. However, two years later, what little padding it had to begin with has been squished out of existence, one of the feet has lost its plastic glide, and some of the rubber grips which held the seat in place have crumbled to dust. It's very uncomfortable to sit in after 30 minutes or so, and it isn't as portable as it looks.

So after a few years of this crap, I'm once again in the market for a good stool. I think what I want is to have two different stools. One for travelling with, which would need to be lightweight and easy to carry while still being somewhat comfortable. The other for use at home, where I could sit and practice in it for hours and hours at a time and not have to worry about discomfort.

The best that I've come up with are the insanely expensive Basso stools. I got to use one briefly when I played with the Seattle Symphony last March, and it is by far the most comfortable and versatile stool I think could exist. It's also $960. They also a have a cheaper model, but they aren't adjustable and don't look quite as sturdy.

Are there any other places to look into? The $960 stool isn't out of the question, but I'm sure there are comparable stools that cost less.

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Try restaurant supply. They need stools that can take punishment, day in and day out. That industrial stuff is usually inexpensive too.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what about protability? That an issue?

4. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I walked into a huge office furniture store and ask for office stools. They had a bunch of models, besides, most of their regular office chairs cound be fitted to hold the extended stool set of legs.

Check it out, not exactly portable but extremely confortable.(arms are optinal). From $100 to $200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

To me it is. Actually portability over comfort. It's easy to find a hard to move, heavy, comfortable expensive stool. Just try lugging it to a gig.
    I work with a sax player and he had a knee injury so he has to sit. He has (or had) what I think is the perfect stool. 30 inches high padded seat and it FOLDS! OK the bad news is the piano player ran over it. The even worse news is that it is discontinued. The label on the bottom had a 1-800 number and called to find out they don't make 'em any more. I've been to specialty type "Bars Stools 'r' Us,' to inquire about a folding stool at 30 inches and googled for it on the Internet.
    so far no luck. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

6. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Just mentioned the stool I've been using for about a year in another thread. It's the K&M bass stool although I didn't buy it from bob's house of basses. I have it without the backrest or footrest. It's portable enough to gig with, although a little heavier than other stools. It's really comfortable, and it's adjustable from as low as you'd want to as high as you'd want. It's really well designed, and after i got it i oiled it with balistol, and it has never rattled or creaked. I use the xeros endpin anchor with it. Very happy with the combination.

7. Of course it is. That's why I want two different stools. I want something that's comfortable that I can use at home, and something lightweight and easy to carry for anything away from the house.

8. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I use a nice drafting chair similar to the gold one above at home. They're generally about 100 bucks, and take a plain padded bar stool out to gigs. I usually stand for jazz gigs due to a pinched nerve. I'll use a stool for orchestra and theater work though. Don't want to stand for 3 hrs.

Ike

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Being that I work in fast food (5 months when I was 15 at McD's, and about 4 months now at KFC,) the standing for 3 hours isn't what gets me at all -- more like the fatigue in my arms after playing for 3 hours!

That said, it certainly is nice to sit back and relax a bit on a stool, and if it adds to your playing, I'd say just about any foldable stool should do for gigs. What ever happened to that one NHOP used to endorse that transformed into a trolly for your bass too? That thing was damn neat. Considered picking one up at the time but they were out of stock until late summer. Haven't checked back on 'em in ages, though.

10. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Looking at your profile, the difference here is, I'm older than your 50's Hofner and you're about the age of my socks.

Ike

11. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland

How do you get your socks to last so long?

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Febreeze, and good folding technique.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Same way I do: just don't wash 'em. The body oil and toe cheese keeps 'em from drying out. A big plus is that you only have conversations with people who really, really like you. :)

About the stool thang - I'd love to have a folding stool with a cutaway "neo-drum-throne" kinda seat. The problem is that I've never found one that allows me to put both my feet up to sit in neo-cello position like a regular barstool does. I've been tempted more than once to simply mount a drum throne seat on top of a regular barstool, but then I'd need a longer endpin. Of course, I suppose I could always just saw the legs shorter...

14. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Amputating your legs in search for the perfect sitting position...now THAT'S dedication. :D

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ...but it could have interesting consequences in some ways - as it is, I'm a foot taller than my wife. If I were six or eight inches shorter, then...oh, never mind. :bag:

16. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I tried to attach a pic of one I like alot.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Interesting...what kind is that one, Mike?

18. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There used to be a tall stool version of that ergonomic stuff from Sweden or Denmark where you rested your knees on a supporting surface and your backside rested on a stool. It was a popular design in the 80's but no one ever adapted it to a bass stool. To bad really, cause it took much of the weight off your back and distributed it evenly between your knees and butt. I've never been able to trace the design down even with the internet.

Ric

19. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Marcus, I forget the name of the folks that make it but I can look up the names, addresses when I get home from work. It works really well for me as I can leave the end pin out when I use it as a stand and it's a really comfy seat too as I can put one or both feet (mine) up. No back though....