Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Searching for a bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SomeBassPlayer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. I'm in the early process of building my first bass and am currently searching for what bridge to use on it, I am wanting it to have the option of through body or through bridge for the strings and i'd like it to have a look similar to what is on the lakland basses (flap covering the string end) any ideas on where i could look for this type of bridge or just through body bridges full stop as i'im having difficulty finding one of them full stop.

Thanks,
    SBP

2. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    badass II bridge??

3. i didn't think it had a through body option for the strings, can any won confirm if it does or doesn't?

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Seeing as how the badass bridge is intended to be a direct replacement for a fender bridge, and to the best of my knowledge fenders do not have string through body as an option I would think not.

5. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    SomeBassPlayer:

I just did some research on bridges. Check out:

www.hipshotproducts.com

They've got three types of bridges, one of them similar in style to the Lakland bridge (how similar I'm not sure, since I've never seen a Lakland in person). They have downloadable specs for all the spacings available.

Not all of the spacings are listed in the on-line order form, but can be ordered via telephone (the one I wanted wasn't listed but was available).

www.Carvin.com

They sell a version of a hipshot bridge that is nice, but in only one string width, I believe.

www.bassguitarstring.us

This is the sponsor of the strings forum. He explains on the home page that he will be carrying the Leo Quan line of bridges "including the new string through body bridges."

They above were the sources I liked the best. But, you may want to try doing a google search on bass bridge, or something like that, since there are other sources for bridges.

hth

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The Hipshot A bridge is the best bridge going right now, in my opinion. It is drilled for string-through-the-body. The BadAss is not.

7. Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'm gona to go with the hipshot the has through body, it seems the best option.

8. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I second that.

Cliff

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    How easy are they to install? I mean the Badass is pretty much a drop-in replacement, but I assume that there is some drilling involved for the hipshot if you want it in a non-string-thru bass.

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There is certainly some drilling involved. The starter of this thread is building a bass, so SBP will be doing some drilling no matter what. That said, the Hipshot is no more or less difficult to drill for than any other bridge.

Anyone looking for a replacement for a Fender instrument who is uncomfortable or unable to drill the necessary holes might look into a drop-in replacement rather than the Hipshot "A" style bridge.

11. can you string the hipshot A style as a regular top loaded bridge, or is it through body only?

anybody with personal experience with it compared to the bad ass II?

12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES

The new version of the style A bridge from Hipshot can be strung either way.

Is strung a word?

Cliff

13. it is in my dictionary. thanks for the reply.