Searching for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5not4, May 10, 2001.

1. 5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    I've been thinking about getting a fretless. I play mostly Classic rock material in a weekend band and this would be a secondary instrument used on the occasional slow song or other particular instances.

Because this bass would be used less I have been looking into the Steinberger-type basses. This would use less stage area and also wouldn't increase what I have to carry around very much. With a gig bag I could sling this over my shoulder and not have too much problems, I wouldn't think.

Used would be fine because I figure I would have to de-fret it and don't really want to invest major $. I've seen a couple used Kramer Duke's and the Hohner's but none have been fretless. In fact, there's a Hohner right now on Ebay for $300. Is this too much to pay? I would imagine a good de-fret job would run $100-150.

Music Yo has the Spirit brand that is all ready fretless but I have heard too many horror stories with them.

Am I on the right track? Does anyone have any experiences with this kind concept? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    MusicYo sells a fretless steinberger copy for under $300.

Will C.:cool:
  3. Hey 5not4, why not consider a MIM fretless Fender Jazz. It would run you about $350 new(less used)
    and it's got a great sound and if you tire of it, you'll
    have a much easier time selling it than if you buy some "off the beaten path" job; if you like it, you can upgrade it very easily.

Mike J.
  4. 2 fairly inexpensive suggestions:

Dean Rhapsody HBF.. SWEET tone.. very easy to play.. also looks killer.. to me it had a very smooth vintage vibe.. would probably run anywhere between 500 and 600 US. Possible con.. feedback from it being hollow.. no idea if this is a real factor
  5. also the Peavey Foundation 2000 fretless.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Snot4 ~

You may want to consider something like a Pedulla because the sound es mucho mas macho.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Naw, get an Alain Caron signature F bass.
  8. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    I've been looking for a fretless for quite awhile as well. I've finally stumbled upon a perfect fit. After a second job and a few payed-off back bills, I will own a Godin fretless. Amazing tone, light, plays really good. They run about $800-$900, but they're well worth it IMHO. You oughta check them out.

Feb 12, 2001
    C'mon guys Ailain Caron sig? thats a bit above his obvious price range for this thing?
    besides to have an Alain Caron just sit there to be used for one song is criminal.

Ok you hear horror stories from people about the MusicYo jobbies?

well the 5 string fretless bass with the full size body is a dream to play and for onle around 300$ it's a steal, I have a few steinberger Yo' models in guitar and bass that i picked up off ebay in an auction, they were all new but the store couldn't sell em, anyways the only problem i have had is the frets tend to pop out, but since you want a fretless one, that wont be a problem

The boards are nicely shaped and are very smooth the EMG select humbuckers are probably as clean and noiseless as the Active pickups, they are atually a dream to use *i know i know the high end zealots will come to destroy me soon*

I say for 300$ try it.

The hardware is not top notch, but at the same time it's still very good, and since you won't be using it very much there is even less of a chance that something will fail.

The only hardware failure problems i have heard are on the guitars, but think about it those have trems and there fore they have moving parts that cause friction on eachother

check one out

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Just trying to build on Munji's sarcasm.

Seriously, 5not4, I have heard a lot of good things about the Musicyo Steinberger Spirits as well, obviously they are not as good as the original composite Steinbergers with the active EMGs, but they are well worth the asking price, just as CodeCOMPLETE said.
  11. 5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Thanks for all the responses, even the ones that didn't really fit the question. It's nice to know that my posts get read from time to time.

Anyway, I do feel that Music Yo is the way to go. I just need to get the courage to take the dive and go for it. They used to offer a fretless model in the XT body style but I haven't seen it in a while now. Snooze you lose, eh?

I have been checking into a few used MIM Jazzes so I guess there's hope for me yet!! ;-)

Thanks again.
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha BBN4F III, 300 bucks new.

I have one, it's great and besides it kicked Fender's control cavity plate in BP's cheapo-fretless shootout :D

Was Steinberger that headless plank-body BTW? Doesen't look too good to me.