1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Searching for a new piece

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ilmārs Priede, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Apr 2, 2013
    I've been playing bass for a year now. (after switching from 5 years of playing guitar) Been playing on a Yamaha RBX-375 (used) and since I'm seriously considering a career as a musician I figured i should get an instrument more serious.
    I mainly play jazz, blues, funk. Recently got my hands on some beautiful instruments while visiting another country in a really nice music store.
    Long story short - I would like to hear some suggestions on a good price/quality ratio instruments. I myself am leaning towards Fender JB (probably Japanese one since American would exceed my budget which is around 1000$). Should I get a new one from a local dealer (a music store for example) or should I consider browsing eBay for a better deal?
    Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'll admit, I'm quite biased towards my Japanese Fender Aerodyne (export model). In fact, I've gone on and on about it all over the forum, so I'll leave it at this; it's been quite a "bang for the buck". My used one was not that expensive (a little less than $400) and has been an excellent bass to learn on. But does that mean it's the right one for you? Dunno.

Online? I, for one, have been pretty lucky. All of my purchases have been used and most were "sight unseen". But not all online purchases work out. I know a lot of people have their gripes about Guitar Center and Musician's Friend, but I believe they have a pretty forgiving return policy. I've heard good things about ordering from Sweetwater and they have a few perks when you order something new (warranty, free shipping, etc…).

Local? Go and try out as much as you can and see if something "works" for you. Nothing is better than "first hand" experience.