1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Searching for A Pink Mark Hoppus Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hammer927, May 9, 2010.

1. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    If you haven't noticed I'm new here, so hello.
    I am in search of the aforementioned, pink color Mark Hoppus bass. Any help is much appreciated.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    do you mean the neon pink that he used on stage? or the pastel pink that was sold for his sig model? im pretty sure the neon pink was only released for mark in small numbers too. I remember the pastel pink ones have shown up on ebay from time to time

3. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    Basically, whichever I can get my hands on at the right price. I know the neon is much more rare. I would like to find one of those if possible, but eBay has shown me no love this week for either, as i just began using it as a resource.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
  5. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    It seems all of the re-sales happened in 08 or so...There has got to be somebody out there with one.

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    no luck for me eather... your better off finding a used one and getting it refinnished to be the color you want. i dont think theres a point in the mark hoppus sig bass. get a p bass and duncan quarter pounders and turn the tone pot all the way on and you have the tone of his bass...

7. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    Well, see i've been playing about two months and I played one, in the silliest looking light blue. I wouldn't mind the seafoam though. How much does a refinish cost?
    also, right now i'm playing my entry level haha. Epiphone Les paul special edition

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    guys on here will do it for you ask ibanezcollector . I know he used to do refinish jobs. why not play other basses theres way more basses out there for less money which sound better. And theres nothing wrong with entry level basses.. I gig my squire p bass and sx jazz all the time. I have had lots of gear stolen after shows which is why I dont take my nice basses to shows.

Theres really nothing special about the hoppus sig bass duncan quarter pounders are a pretty common pickup and dont even sound good. I think you should do some research and play more basses before you decide on an overpriced sig model that doesnt even offer any control over tone.

9. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    I just liked it when I played it. Besides mine and that one i've only played two other ones playing around in the store, and they were both like 2 grand.. and they were horrible sounding to me. I mean, I'm playing mostly alt rock/ punk stuff so I thought that would be a good graduation gift idea for me haha. What do you suggest looking at then?

10. The Neon is hot pink, those are not production but made by fender custom shop for Mark and Mark only , you could have one made but it would be over 3,000$, these are not mexican signatures but USA made highly pricey basses he used mostly. Mark rarely plays his actual signature most of his are all custom shop american fenders, he does play a normal sig in the first date music video.

The light pink is Shell Pink , it was only available for 1 year. After that year the color was dropped , i am guessing it did not sell well, now it has become a collectors color. They can be had on ebay and pop up every once and awhile and usually sell for 500-600$.

You could by a kinda beat up mark hoppus bass in a different color and have it painted in the hot pink color mark uses, shell pink like the discontinued sig color or any colro you want b someone here or a local automotive painter.

The "silly" lookig blue you played is called daphne. I owned 2 Mark hoppus's 1 in seafoam green i got for 400$ and i bought one that someone had stripped the paint off so it was bare wood and was previously blue i got that for 240 which would have been a great bass for you to buy and refinish, but both these basses have been sold.

Good luck.

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    look at mexican made fenders. They are great instruments for a great price. look at the mim p bass you can find one used for around 300 new for 500 i think or somewhere around there. throw a duncan quarter pounder in there and have the tone of the mark hoppus sig for way less.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Precision-Bass-Guitar?sku=501168

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....Pound-P-Bass-Pickups?sku=300310&rec=product_B

That will give you the same tone as the mark hoppus sig with better tone shaping controls.

The best advise is go to a big instrument store and pick up everything in your price range. you will find one better then the hoppus sig.

warwicks rockbass series is very nice. so are most ibanez basses. the sterling stingray is also in your price range and hoppus played a stingray for the first 3 blink cds.

And alot of real punks never cared about what gear they had they just played with what they had. They still managed to sound decent

12. Also as said before the hoppus sig is overpriced, it ahs the same neck mexican fenders had, the thing that makes the hoppus tone, is seymour duncan quarter pounds and thousands of dollars in ampeg amps.

If you get any P bass and slap quarter pounds in it , you will get his tone, i did this to a mexican P bass i got used and only installed a volume knob just liek the Hoppus. It looked better to me and it sounded the same.

13. And his tone sounded better back then i think personally, his first P bass protype can be seen in the adams song video.

14. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    you forgot brand new strings... Hoppus is one bass player who seems to like brand new strings. and he used d addario for a while but switched to ernie ball...

15. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    I'll look in to those options, its about 40 minutes to the guitar center here so there is that. I'll look at the stingray too because I want something a little higher quality. Over the summer my friend's band needs a bassist. Theirs moved across the country and they are about to get signed lmao. I just practice myself on my little practice amp, so I am looking at a new cab and a head of some sort as well.

Thank you for the history as well, that information has popped up since i've been looking for so long.

16. Yeah he likes new strings and new basses constantly,i know some pros that use strings for 2 shows. Hoppus usually perfers to play a bass for 3-4 songs and then will switch at a show to a bass with new strings. That bass that had 3-4 songs played on it , is then set up cleaned and restrung for the next night or show.

Thats a crazy amount of strings to go through.

As for getting the hoppus tone i was really into blink awhile back and i can play around 25 blink songs correctly, any P bass will do, double picking over the pickup with round wound strings and a light gauge pick will get a close enough sound.

heck i paly blink covers with my band on a jack casady hollowbody.

17. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    Yeah i have .6 and .73 picks, strings are relatively new but not as new as you've described. Everything else seems to be in order as well. I should be ok until I can put something new together gear wise.

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    nice stuff gets stolen when you play shows... no one will steal a bass like this... Thats my 89 squire 2 p bass... 80$ used at guitarcenter sounds great and no one will steal a bass that ugly. gigged it 10 times no one has even came up to me to ask about it its kinda nice

19. Hammer927

Hammer927

May 9, 2010
    That bass is older than I am. I'll probably have the one I have now and end up using like that.

20. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have only had it like 2 months now. but its became my main bass. its cheap and light and sounds better then my p bass. did you ever think about just upgrading the pickups in your bass? pickups and new strings make a huge difference. you have only been playing 2 months. your tastes in instruments will change over time. I started on a cheap gretsch short scale bass. that thing was awful. i found a squire p bass at a pawn shop for cheap and loved it. that bass had an unfortunate accident when i fell off the stage at a show. then i got my mim fender jazz which i still own and record with. had quite a few others which got stolen...