Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Searching for a wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sunburstbasser, Apr 18, 2004.

1. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I've got my Vox, but I'd like to get a truly dedicated, quality wah. So far, I've looked at:

Dunlops Crybabies
    George Dennis Wahs
    Snarling Dogs Bass Wah
    Tech 21 Killer Wail
    Morley Bass Wahs

The Tech 21 is supposed to be nice, does it really work with bass too? What is a good all-around bass wah, for stuff like Flea's wah sounds, and for more jazz/rock kinda stuff?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Crybabies: The 105Q is what Flea uses. If you can get used to the switchless, spring action with the Dunlop sound, it's not bad. I find the 100Q (the black one) to be better for my needs with the stomp switch and the fact that it doesnt have the spring. This way you can leave it in one setting.

Can't say anything about GD's, Snarling Dog's or Tech 21's wahs. But I've been primarilly a Morley guy. Not a HUGE fan of the current dual bass wah, but I always liked the Pro Series II bass wah (the blue one) for it's silent switchless operation. Strangely though, in it's similarity to the 105Q in switchless, springy operation, I love the Morley but hate the Dunlop. Not to mention that the two sound very different.

Try out as many as you can and see. That's all I can say. Each is different, has it's very own tone.

3. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I've got a Morley PBA bass wah and a Snarling Dogs Bawl Buster; two very different beasts, and I much prefer the Morley. The Bawl Buster is capable of some very extreme sounds (window-rattling bottom end filter sweeps), but not very useful for more conventional bass-wah sounds - there's a very small "sweet spot" just before it clicks off where all the good stuff is. Mine's also very temperamental - the switch sometimes doesn't work and I get the occasional amp-worrying pop out of it. If it wasn't a present, I'd have fixed it up an eBayed it.

The Morley's a lot more subtle, but I've never had any problems with it. I've never tried a Crybaby, but I'd like to.

4. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I have every Morley wah currently available...

(well except the mark tremonti signature)

my favorite is actually the Steve vai signature bad horsie II

Second favorite is the dual bass wah...

I intend soon to incorporate both into my rig...

One on each side...

I love the Morley stuff, and highly recommend it!

If you are using a traditional 4, 5, or 6 string bass I'd say if you choose the Morley, then the Dual bass wah would be your best bet, or best place to start...

but see if you can't try a few of the morleys out with your bass before deciding!

;)

5. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Unfortunately the pro series bass wah is no longer available...

However the new dual bass wah is supposed to be the same pedal with added features...

I really like my pro series II for its simplicity!

But I think the dual bass wah has all of the pro series II features and then some...

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Have you checked out the Boss v-wah? It's my wah of choice, but each to their own.

The Tech21 is supposed to sound very good, and it looks very cool, but the mode change switch is on the bottom of the pedal which could be a pain if you've mounted it on the pedalboard!