Searching for casters. Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justinb515, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Carvin brx casters: $24

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Other (Please Explain)

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Real men lift their gear, not roll it.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Place the cab on some carrots, and roll it onto the stage.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    Hi all. I am renovating my rig...I just removed an alum cone from my hartke 115xl and replaced it with an eminence basslite neo 15. (review soon). Now, I am looking for some high quality casters to place on the bottom of it. I really like the look and design of the carvin casters:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=CTS35&CID=BA

I'm assuming I just screw these in to the bottom of my cab? Will they fit my cab? Anybody have any better ideas? thanks guys!

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    collapsable hand trolley of some sort.you could put your cab, amp and whatever else on it.

3. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    that's not a bad idea...I really like the idea of being able to roll my cab in any direction on the stage if I need to adjust its position. That's one feature the cart can't offer. It's sill a good idea though. Nice bass by the way.
    Anybody else?

4. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Ive only heard good things about the Carvin .
    Wheels are great , cant understand that i used to carry my cabs at every gig .. saves your back oi !

5. you dont need carvin wheels when the hardware store sells wheels

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd never order something like wheels, which are so easy to find in a hardware store locally, by mail order, unless I lived miles from civilization.

One thing though--if you get casters that screw onto the bottom of the cabinet, if you leave them on when you play, you might not like the sound as much. Some bass will drop out. In some rooms that may actually sound good. Others, not so good. The plug in type casters can be removed for playing but can be a bit harder to find.

You could be inventive and make a platform out of 3/4" plywood the size of the bottom of the cabinet and attach the screw on casters to that. Rig a way to hold the platform to the bottom of the cabinet when transporting it, but still be quick to remove for playing. Ampeg did it with their famous B15 flip top amps from the 60s. Do some research. It might work for you.

7. I had to search all over town to find decent pop-out casters. When I did find them they were about $100. I've changed my setup now and use a small hand-truck.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I voted carrots and here's why:

With carrots, you'll have a nice combination of mobility and vibration control. Also, the telltale orange smear on the floor of the stage will lead you right to you rig...no more charging onto stage, heading for the wrong amp, and then having to run a 'victory lap' in front of the cheering masses....

9. RBASS930

RBASS930

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Try the Ernie Ball pop out casters. I always used them, and they never gave me any issues over the years. You can get them at American Musical, Sam Ash, and a few other online places.

10. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Virtually every set of casters I've ever had that were made specifically to retro fit speaker cabs were shiite, especially the Ampeg wheels. What the fudge were they thinking with those crappy things? Mine started getting loose and hanging up only a month or two into the life of the cab.

I suggest the folding handcart/luggage rack first. It's only a Hartke 15, what will it weigh with the Neo? 70-80lbs? How hard can it be to drag it a few feet on stage. If it's THAT big an issue, pay someone to move it for you, lol. :bag:

We use a dolly velcro-strapped onto the bottom of the Leslie cab to move it for Los Blancos gigs, but I had a set of these on a cab for a while. GREAT casters!

http://www.coolcasters.com/

About $9 a wheel delivered.

11. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I've always used Mesa Boogie casters. Kind of pricey but they work really, really well.

They're removable but the way they're designed, they don't have a post that goes into the cab.

LeonD

12. This is actually my project for the weekend. The casters on the bottom of my Ampeg cab ripped out and splintered the wood, so a plywood platform is my only option. Dammit all! I will check out new casters as well, that's for sure.

13. Actually, those Mesa Boogie casters look great, and that Tone Luggage thingie would be perfect for my new Acme cab! Thanks, LeonD!

14. I voted other option - I would go with a cart like others would have said. But most importantly, make sure you have brakes on the wheels no matter what you do. I have seen lots of gear roll away, lol.

Good luck!

15. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    If you entend to remove your casters while you play, then there are many to choose from. If you would like to leave them on, then that's another story.

While I was working for a stage tour company, most cab casters would always stay on (Screwed to the cab), and we used top quality, 4 inch, blue casters. They woulden't rattle, and had some tiny bounce to them (Great on stairs, or on the truck loading ramp).

With removable casters, you won't have the rattle problem, but huge difference from brand A to brand B. Unless you're sure, stay away from hardware store cheap casters. My SWR casters are solid, but don't roll that well, and are pretty small. The Marshall casters on my guitarists rig are way better.

16. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I've done this once or twice...

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace Hardware and ask them for casters.

A larger size will roll more easily and you need all 4 of them to swivel. Find a wheel that's rubber instead of hard plastic and you'll be set. Should cost you ~$4 each, then you'll need 16 wood screws (4 each) to secure them to the bottom of your cabinet.

The other thing to keep in mind, when attaching them, is that you don't want to drill ALL the way through. Figure out how thick the wood is (probably 5/8" on a Hartke) and get screws a little shorter than that.

Line up the head of the screw with the tip of your drill bit ("69" style) and put a piece of tape around your drill bit as a depth gauge.

For stability, you want the wheels as far out towards the corners as you can get them.

Have fun, but also keep in mind that raising your 1x15" up off the floor will acoustically de-couple it from the stage. It will probably clean up the sound, but that may come across as LESS BASS.

Before you drill holes into your cab, maye try setting it on bricks to see if the change in sound is going to bug you.

17. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    I'm all for detachable wheels for the reasons already mentioned. Parts Express has a mounting plate that doesn't require the deep hole needed for a pop-out caster. [I haven't actually used these.] Go to "Speaker building" and then "Casters." www.partsexpress.com

18. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    I went with other. if i had to have "name brand" casters i'd go with mesa, they are sweet and don't require a deep hole for the post like other removable casters. otherwise i'd make a small platform with casters (or buy one from home depot for ~$20) to set the cab on it to roll it around, and it is easily removed if you want the cab set on the floor.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I live in the Tampa bay area too, and I've never had a problem finding a set of Ernie Ball pop-in casters for around $25.....

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021