1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Searching for G-K tone, but which flavor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YosemiteSam, Mar 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    Currently my main amp is a Fender Rumble 500 2x10 combo. The power is more than adequate for anything I do, and the EQ is flexible enough that it works in a variety of environments and styles. I play upright and slab, classic rock, blues, a few jazz standards, and a lot of backup of acoustic acts. I use a Tonebone PK-Pre(amp) for the upright, and can do DI from either the preamp or the Rumble.

A while ago I played through an older G-K 400RB 1x15" combo, and loved the sound, particularly with my Lakland. It isn't as dramatic with a passive bass, but it's hot with the Barts. I'm also told G-Ks are really good for upright, though I have not tried one with mine.

I'm thinking of picking up a G-K, but I'm not sure which. I've read there are significant differences in sound between the RB and MB series, that the 400 and 800 are significantly different, the 1001 is a whole 'nother beast entirely, and that the power section (and maybe cabs/drivers) are critical to the sound as well. Then there's the Plex preamp, which costs as much as a used head.

I don't think I need the full 500w (350w with internal) from the Rumble, as even with the last loud drummer I played with I never cranked it, and frankly, my days of playing at high volume are over (I'm 57 and have bad tinnitus).

I like the idea of the lightweight G-K amps, and indeed, don't want anything that weighs over 35lbs or so. I'm thinking that I'll eventually end up with a Greenboy cab like a f112, though I could go cheaper, and even happen to know of an MB212 available locally.

Can anyone help me out and give me some direction with which G-K to look at? Or is the correct answer, "Any/all of them!"?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Check out the new, light weight Rumbles. Updating may fit the bill.

3. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    Mine's a V3, probably 3 years old at this point. I'm pretty sure it's the current model. It's very light.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There's really two GK sounds. For me, at least.
    There's the clean, 'all knobs at noon' baked in EQ sound, and then there's the drive sound.
    If it's the clean tone you're after, pretty much any of them will do that.
    If it's the drive tone, then you get into a lot of variation between heads.

YosemiteSam likes this.