searching for that first amp.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by purple hands, Sep 27, 2005.

1. purple hands

purple hands

Sep 26, 2005
    howdy all,im looking for that first amp,something in the 100-200watts range,possibly for gigging...i was looking at the behringer bx1200 combo purely for the low price but im now having doubts about its overall quality.i need help :) ....any views or advice price range is heading towards 350euro (about 420 dollars)
  2. I had a Behringer BX6000, and the quality was fine, but you'll be severely limited by the BX1200 in terms of size if you want to gig with it.

It will only have enough in it to use in low volume acoustic type gigs. You won't be heard over even a moderate drummer or electric guitar.

I'd recommend you step up to at least 300w if you're looking at gigging with drums and electric guitar.

If you only want to do low volume acoustic type stuff, then the BX1200 may suit you. Play one and see how you like it. Personally I sold my BX600 because it wasn't the sound I was looking for - your taste will invariably vary ;)

I now have a Warwick Blue Cab combo to replace the BX600 as a practice amp, and an Ashdown Mag300 head and a 4x10 cabinet which does nicely with the band.

3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I know people want to keep things cheap, but you MUST consider future needs. The combo I've been recommending is the yorkville xm200. it is 200w into a 15" speaker, good for most practice situations and smaller gigs. and it also has a speaker output that DOES NOT shut off the internal speaker. you can hook up TWO more 8ohm cabinets to it!!!

it sells for $520 new on

if you don't do things right the first time around, you'll be spending more money soon.

What I'm suggesting is NOT that yorkville is your only choice, it would be mine, but consider a combo 100-200w that can attach other speaker in the future when you need more volume.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Peavey TNT combo. Best starter amp around in my opinion. New $450 used probably half that. Good tone, useful volume and built like tanks.
  5. For a combo. I would never buy new. There are a zillion in hauk. Goto a pawn shop they are cheap there. And pawn shop around me seems to have. Fender Rumbles, Crates, ect, ect. And not the little stuff either all them over 100w each. Some of which look never used. That Fender rumble comes to mind because it still had the static film scratch guards on the name plates, lol. And asking is under half of list. Ball 'em a bit on price you'll get half of "street" price.

Plus like everything else most all pawns anymore are corporate chains or franchises. And you have usually 7 - 30 day to test at home. No questions asked on return. Should you not like how it plays. And for the price of a 200w combo new. I could right now put together one 350 watt Ampeg or one 280w Gallien-Kruger rig (NOT Backline). And still have money for more gear. Either of which are well worth buying. All compontents so well taken care of the look fresh out of box.