1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Searching for the best Detune pedal for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AssafT, Dec 19, 2017.

1. AssafT

AssafT

Dec 19, 2017
    Hello there,

It's been some time that I'm searching for a proper detune pedal for my bass.
    I need it for some of the songs we play in my band.
    We detune by half step and I don't want to change the setup between songs many times.
    I searched the forum here and saw some talking like:
    "Digitech Bass Whammy detune vs.Luxe"
    when checking these both pedals I couldn't find a proper video showing a CLEAR detune!
    it is always combined with harminizing, and other effects...

lately I bought a pedal "Moore PitchBox" - it did some of the job and at start work fine for half step detune, but later on it just stopped working - I'm bringing it back to store.
    also when it works it added some modulation noise to the bass signal.

I also tried my guitar player's "Digitech Drop" pedal and it also didn't give clean bass signal - no good for bass guitar

Bottom line:
    I don't want a lot of talking and comparing between pedals here
    please tell me what is the best pedal for detune - not harmonizing, not pitch - only clean DETUNE!
    and that the signal is coming clean as if I changed the setup of the bass manually

Note:
    I know I can keep another bass guitar ready with half step down (and this is what I already preparing) if I won't find such good pedal.
    I also got suggestion to play 5 strings guitar - Don't want this solution currently.

Cheers to all!
    Assaf.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Zane DeBord likes this.
  2. AssafT

AssafT

Dec 19, 2017
    Any help - Thanks!

3. Digitech drop... it’s made for what you are wanting and has won shootouts... my guitarist uses one to go from drop c to drop b and there is hardly any change in tone or latency.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    ???

You want help but you want no discussion? It's a forum...

smittybass33, Ikkir and alecduncan like this.
  5. Schopes

Schopes

Sep 9, 2016
    Nashville
    Since you already tried the Digitech Drop, and didn’t like it, you should try the EHX pitchfork. I think mine sounds pretty good when it’s used to tune up or down a half or whole step.

Perrygoround likes this.
  6. AssafT

AssafT

Dec 19, 2017
    Hey Dave, sorry for sounding that hard.. of course we can talk, I'm just a bit exhausted for didn't found the pedal yet..
    go on, let me know your suggestion
    Thanks

7. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I think you want a Pitch shifter and not a detune pedal. Detune is the chorus effect on the bass whammy and luxe. I don’t know how much room you have on your board, the Digitech drop and EHX pitchfork are pretty small, but I used a line 6 M5 to change tunings.

8. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Look up the Morpheus DropTune!

9. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I don't know if Digitech has improved the 'drop' since it came out, but they used to sound like synthesizers.
    If I had to switch between concert, and one down, I would bring two basses.

Wallofbasses and filler83 like this.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There isn't one. They all change the tone and won't sound exactly like a clean bass.

Why don't you tune your one bass half a step down and play all the songs that way? You still have E when your bass is tuned to Eb.

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Didn’t the Ricochet kind of take the place of the Drop? I’ve heard it’s made some improvements at least.

You mentioned the Luxe. That’s not what you want at all. It’s a chorus effect if nothing else. It’s also the best bass “chorus” out there as far as I’m concerned.

I’m curious to see what comes out of this thread as well!

12. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm

Jul 19, 2012
    The Drop and the Ricochet are for different purposes, however they have the exact same pitch algorithm and DSP.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Well, there you go. Glad you’re around lol!

DigiTechRep likes this.
  14. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    I like my pitch fork

Schopes likes this.
  15. AssafT

AssafT

Dec 19, 2017
    Hey you all there!
    Thanks a lot for all suggestions, I will drop by a store to check the pitch fork, then will update my impression here..
    lz4005 - I will think on your suggestion.. makes all work a bit complicated but...

16. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I’m interested to know if there are others too. I tried the drop and it had a synthy chorus sound even at half a step. If the pitchfork works let me know!

17. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    I've been scouring TB from the same motivation. My conclusion: Spend the same money on a second bass.

18. Pitch Fork is no good if you want to drop 3 half steps, but it can go up or down in tuning as well as be blended and also supports a expression pedal to effectively make it into a whammy.

The Drop has less latency & less shading of the timbre, true bypass also.

19. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    There are a few songs I want to play that are in CGCF and the fingering doesn't work on my 5 string. I didn't want to put heavier strings on my bass and have to adjust the nut and what not, so I ended up with the Digitech Drop. I tune the E to D and then use the drop to get to CGCF. It works fine... no, it isn't perfect, but it is good enough.

alecduncan likes this.
  20. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Detune? Mobius. I have tried a lot of bass (and even guitar) choruses and some of detuners (Pitch Fork, Bass Whammy etc.). This time i use Mobius for detune ( a kind of chorus for me).