1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Searching for the perfect Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RMS1AO, Sep 29, 2009.

1. RMS1AO

RMS1AO

Sep 29, 2009
    Hey everybody,

I am currently investing in a custom warmoth P Bass 4 string with a J Bass neck. Maple neck, Ebony fingerboard, and Swamp Ash body. I am looking for a Warm, thick, smooth sound, but still with a good amount of brightness and character, along with the removal of unwanted noise. I'm not too familiar with pickups and whats currently the best in the market, so I'm looking for some help.

I have heard good things about EMG's and Bartollini's, but im still looking for more opinions.

Thanks for your help!

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    There is NO perfect pickup.

Having said that, there are pickups that meet few, several or none of the tone requirements, depending on each individual's needs. There are many great pickups out there

Warm, thick, smooth sound with a good amount of brightness (clarity) and character (but NOT overshadowing the instrument) I'd vote for Villex pickups. They have great output and S/N ratio. They allow for a whole range of tones out of each pickup (all other pickups allow for a single tone out of the pickup)

www.villex.com

YMMV etc etc

3. RMS1AO

RMS1AO

Sep 29, 2009
    I know, i just thought it was a nice title, considering everyones looking for their own perfect pickups.

Anyway, thank you! I've never heard of villex. I checked out the sound samples they had on their website and they sound pretty solid.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    for a P bass pickup, IMO the Seymour Duncan vintage P bass is by far my favorite. it sounds just like the original pickup in my 1962 P bass (my avatar pic). I've tried ALOT of pickups, but your taste might not be the same as mine.
    BTW, Fralins are too stiff and brittle for me.

5. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    String changes do more for tone, pickups are more fine tuning IMO. Look at the Seymour Duncan Tone Chart.

6. BobOnBass

BobOnBass

Dec 27, 2008
    Cugy (VD), Suisse
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Check these out:

http://www.q-tuner.com/

Be warned, they are very transparent regarding all other factors (wood, strings, fingers! etc) but I am a BIG fan. I put one in a Mahogany bass I made myself and this has become my number 1 from the day it was finished. High output, ZERO noise and it gives you a lot of added control over the sound in setup and during playing (the way you use your fingers/pick). They also respond very well to fx. I have one with a black coilwire (cool!) and use it without any electronics, straight to jack. Hotrod style. ;)

Good luck, Bob.

7. I Agree on the qtuners I put a pair in my peavey grind ntb bass and it was like taking a blanket off of my speaker cabinet. If I were to build a pbass now I would probably go with a quarter pound split coil in the normal spot for the oomph and a qtuner in the bridge so I could dial in snap and clarity as needed