Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

searching for the perfect string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cecile, Aug 5, 2004.

1. I need help finding the perfect strings for me. I'm putting them on my new stingray. I never use picks. I've tried flatwounds, but they kill my fingers and they have no punch what so ever. I don't want my bass to sound bright, so I know steel won't work. I'm really into Zeppelin, The Who, and pretty much any classic rock if you can't tell, but sometimes I have to learn new rock (not punk) because our drummer enjoys it. Also, I like jazz and blues but, but mainly rock. Can someone help me?
    Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Might i suggest Elixir Nanowebs? They are less bright than uncoated roundwounds but have loads of punch and a nice warm growl. They kill some of the brightness of normal nickelwounds, but without sounding dull.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would just suggest a dead, nickel roundwound if classic rock is what you are going for. I would also suggest that you spend a little money, buy a few different sets of strings that interest you, and then decide which one you prefer.

Good strings that I have used in the past (I enjoy the tones on old rock albums also)

1. Fender Nickels (I really liked these)
    2. D'Adarrio XL's (my current personal favorite)
    3. Ernie Ball Slinky's
    4. Rotosounds, never tried these, but most artists back then used them.

5. I have switched over to flats on all my basses but I always had good luck with D'Addario XL's when I used round wounds.

6. I actually use thoes now but I thought I would try something new. Thanks for the help everyone, I look for them.

7. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Why did you switch to flats on all your basses? Just curious. I just received my TI Jazz Flats in the mail today. I can't wait to get em on my bass. I've never tried flats before, so we'll see what happens.

8. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Have you tried TI Jazz Flats? From what I've heard they should be pretty easy on your fingers and with a little muting you should get in the area of an old school sound.

I'll let you know when I get mine installed. :bassist:

9. My opinion after having several basses, and reading many peoples comments, are that each bass seems to like different strings. I take others opinions into account, but then have to go out and over time find the strings that work best for each bass.

10. I haven't tried thoes, the flats I tried were D'Addario Chroms (I think thats what they are called). Tell me how they work out. thanks

11. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Fender Super bass strings. Yes they are called "Super strings." I really like these.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Labella...Deep...Talkin'...Flats.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Dr Lowriders..just as low as some nickels but are very aggressive and perfect for rock. Think Rotosounds with an attitude! As you know Rotosounds is the classic rock string from the 60's and 70's. They are a little bright when you first put them on but in a week they are perfect!

14. I have the TI Jazz Flats on my bass at the moment..these are buttery easy to play...have a deep thump and sound more lively than most flats...I love them.

My second favorite string is the DR Lowrider which is a compressed Round wound.

15. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca

+1

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've spent a long time on Stainless Steel Rounds... but over the last 2 years I've switched all my basses to SIT PowerFlats. They are nickel Groundwound.... they have a little roundwound snap, flex and sustain... but have a killer darkness and thud to them that I've come to desire.

17. Ditto, each player has their own stye and preference, what works well for one, may not be the same for another.

Experiment!, you'll learn a lot in the process about strings and types too!

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. AMEN!!!

i have gone through my DR phase, D'Addario phase, Ernie Ball phase and right now I'm in my LaBella (Hard Rocking Steels) phase...

The best you can do is keep on testing strings... :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

19. f_london

f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    I've been playing on Elixer's for 3 years now, and I'm looking for something different... the funkier the sound the better. Any suggestions?
    Thanks