Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Searching for the right laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Sep 14, 2005.

1. I'm looking into getting a laptop and I was wondering if you folks could point me in the right direction for a good one. I'm looking to have atleast the follow specs in it, but don't necessarily have to have it.

2.0ghz processor
    1gb ddr ram
    80-100gig hdd
    15"-17" screen
    floppy drive
    dvd-rw/dvd+rw drive

Basically something with power, space and pretty good graphics.

If someone could throw out some recommendations, even if its piecing one together myself, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I did that with my home system, but never heard of it being done with laptops....

I've got a Dell D-600 that has been a great laptop. I don't think it quite meets your specs, but a quick trip to the Dell web site would let you find one. I've had Dell laptops for about 7 years now, and they are the only ones I have any personal experience with (it's what work gives me) so there may be better out there.

3. I've never heard of it being done with laptops either, but I threw it out there anyways incase anyone has any insight on it. Dell is a consideration, was the first actually, but I want to explore other options too.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Price range?

brad cook

5. Brad, it would be nice to shoot for the $1500-$2500, but if it'll be more around $3000 I'm not going to worry. My parents want to buy my brother and I laptops for general use/school that will last us, so the price range is kinda flexible.

6. What are everyones thoughts on the HP notebooks? Namely the zd8000 and nx9600 series.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Whatever you do, DO NOT get an Emachines laptop. They are pieces of caca. Ask the man who didn't do his homework and bought one.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There's always the Dell XPS series of notebooks. Plenty of power.

Also, PC Mag just rated the Toshiba Satellite M55-S325 as a new editor's choice for gaming and multimedia in their latest issue.

brad cook

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have worked in an environment where we supported Dell laptops. They make nice laptops. My personal choice....a Toshiba Satellite. I have owned a few over the years, and I always will. They make some good laptops.

The HP's are nice. We had a salesmen pitch them to us a few months ago. Get one of the Rugged series. They are super durable. You can stand on them, slam them on the ground, drop them in a puddle when the lid is closed, and so on. They can handle the abuse. We had one for a week, and we thrashed on it every day. It held up like a champ.

You ever take a look at the IBM's? The Thinkpads are nice. What about a tablet PC? They are gaining popularity.

-Mike

10. Personnaly, I wuold go for Dell Inspiron 9300!
    I just bought boughtn with same specs as you show except Processor, Hard disk!
    And it is a very good one, You can get a cheaper laptop than the XPS with the same specs.....Exactly the same, the only thing which will change is the look of the laptop!
    That is my opinion.....
    Go for Inspiron 9300!

Vince

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Apple Powerbook. I've supported dozens of different laptop vendors over the years, never worked on one as reliable or functional as the powerbook.

If you really want a PC laptop I'd say Dell or Toshiba are the best bets, with Dell strongly leading in the "ease of post purchase support" department. The amount of proprietary useless bullsh*t on my dad's Satellite that I had to weed through when installing XP was ridiculous. Can't say I've ever had that problem with a Dell.

My expirience with HP was decidedly unpleasant. Installing a new OS on an HP laptop is a drawn out excercise in emotional masochisim. Finding drivers for things like the touchpad, internal wireless, modem, etc for my GF's HP took me 4 days and I ended up using generic 3rd party drivers for half the stuff. HP's tech support refuses to help you with any installs beyond a full recovery with their recovery software, and will even tell you that HP hardware does not work with "non-HP optimized" versions of Windows. :rolleyes:

Compare that to my old Dell, which ran XP, Debian and 2k server at the same time without the slightest hiccup.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Well, I´m biased to IBM laptops. I´ve been using them in work for 4 years now and I´m happy!

The only thing is that the biggest screen that IBM laptops have is 15".

13. Thanks for the replies everyone. The more I look at the HPs the more I like them, but now I have some other suggestions to check out. I'll be looking at laptops for a couple weeks, so keep the suggestions coming please.

Thanks,
    Tyler

14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    15 feet! :eek: Wow, how does one go about carrying one of those! Does the screen roll up or something? :p

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    :spit:

Fixed it :D

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I hear ya. The first thing I do when purchasing a new desktop or laptop is reformat and get all that junk off.

-Mike

17. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Here's the quick and easy on notebooks:

- most are using the same components, only slightly customized by the OEM's.
    - bang for the buck, Dell. most have heat issues, which is why they aren't called 'laptops' anymore. but heat issues are the same for all notebooks except for IBMs.
    - most stable, never heats up, can be left running for months on end without issues - IBM. However, you have to put up with the proprietary software that is loaded on the IBMs, which monitor installs, etc.
    - HP's Sony's etc. I find nowhere near the top. HP's servers are fantastic, but their notebooks and desktops are just not that great. Sony's are "eh.. ok", but root canals are preferred over dealing with their warranties.

Tips when buying a notebook:
    - get the best friggin screen possible. no matter how fast the computer is, you will be staring at that screen.
    - get an extra power supply, one for work, one for home, or however suits your needs. I hate lugging around the extra 2.5lbs.
    - plan on replacing the battery somewhere between 10-24 months.
    - memory, might as well do it now, take the plunge.

Best of luck.

18. I second that. I actually have been using the same Dell laptop for the last 6 years, and had dell laptops for 7 years.

I'm sure they'll have something on the web site that meets your needs. A really smart friend of mine liked Sony laptops also, and my sister in law's boyfriend (my boyfriend-in-law? naaah, that can't be right....)has had good luck with Toshiba's.

My thoughts are if you need state of the art now, you'll need it tomorrow, so a desktop would be better. Its at least upgradeable more than a laptop. If convenience is what you need more than "currentness", laptop is the way to go. I only say that because you are listing specs, so I'm assuming specs are important. Those specs will be out of date in a year, so I'm just afraid any laptop you get will disappoint you sooner than the equivalent desktop. Especially since laptop technology is usually a little behind desktops to begin with (takes time to take latest stuff and miniaturize, minimum powerize/heaticize it for laptop use).

Randy

19. Didn't IBM sell off its PC business to a CHinese company? Meaning the Thinkpads are no longer IBM? Thought I heard that somewhere? True? I've seen the latest thinkpad commercials, there's a blurb on them something about "division of lesothovo" or something like that...

Randy

[edit]Bingo! I'm good... link: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2005-07-24-lenovo-cover_x.htm Got the company name wrong though... lenovo...

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I am normally very conservative when it comes to computer hardware recomendations (because frankly most people could get buy now with a first gen pentium if it had enough storage space and an OS that wasn't more bloated than a preagnant yak).

However when if comes to laptops you are stuck with what you buy. You can upgrade some compnents in some latptops, and the new Dells let you upgrade most of them, but its not easy or cheap down the line.

So break the bank and deck it out now. Big screen (17" UWXGA minimum) all the ram it can take and the biggest hard drive it can handle. I'd also opt for the fastest Centrino chip available. Everything I've read on Centrino technology has been very encouraging and I think they make a much better choice for the core of a mobile system than a celeron or P4. I know very little about AMDs mobile offernings at this point.