Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Searching transcripts of Ray Brown's bass lines

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mack56, May 17, 2005.

1. mack56

mack56

May 15, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi

I'm looking for transcripts of Ray Brown's bass lines.
    Best will be the lines of "Night Train" with Oscar Peterson.

Any ideas where to get this stuff?

Regards
    mack56

2. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I would say just transcribe it yourself off of the recording. I think you can learn a lot more that way. Ed Thigpen's hi-hat is really loud on that recording but you shouldn't have a trouble hearing the bass. Also there is a book published by Hal Leonard called "Bass Standards" or "Classic Bass Standards" or something like that that has a transcription of Ray's line and solo on "Night Train" from that recording.

3. pete27408

pete27408

Feb 22, 2005
    Howdy, It's true. Transcribing yourself is really the best for you although it's time consuming. Recently I've gotten into memorizing the solo first and playing it through mentally and or singing it and THEN writing it down for future reference. That seems to really help the ear and your concept.
    On a side note it would be cool if there was a way to share all of our transcriptions online.

4. mack56

mack56

May 15, 2005
    Switzerland
    That's very true. But I'm not a professional bass player, rather an advanced amateur. Therfore I can't afford the time to do that by myself. It would be great to get help from you pros. ;-)

Regards
    mack56

5. dex68

dex68 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon, here... The thing is, if you transcribe the lines, you'll have a much deeper understanding of what Ray is doing. Therefore you will be saving time, since a deep understanding is what yer after, right?
    That said, be careful using someone else's lines as a learning tool. While it can be valuable, most just end up steeling the lines for themselves. If you can use Ray's (and other bass players') lines to get a feeling for what they're doing, that's great, but just keep in mind what it is you're after.

6. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    The issue of Bass Player magazine that covered his death included some transcripts. One is his solo in "Au Privave" on Cannonball Adderly and the Poll-winners with Ray Brown and Wes Montgomery.

I do not remember the specific issue. When I get a chance I will check on it.

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
  8. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    October 2002

9. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yea aggree, better to transcribe it yourself, that way you'll never forget it and it's also a direct source of learning.
    A lot of people can put you off transcribing, they make it sound like they are a genius or that they have a supernatural gift to be able to magically hear 'notes' and then write them out on a chart. in actual fact its really amazingly simple, the're only 2 requirements, Ears and a really basic working knowledge of notation, in fact you dont need to even write it out but i do becuase i have a bad memory.
    if you have a piano or keyboard you can use that to find the pitches, or even a guitar or bass guitar, thats how i started becuase i found it hard at first to use the upright, later it is easier.you can buy a tascam cd loop thing that slow the song down without chnaging the pitch, or you can download 'trascribe' and use it late at night with headphones, so out the window with you excuses about not having enough time!

10. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Tascam Bass Trainer CD-BT1.

I don't do much transcribing, but this little device is great for that. You can loop things, have it go back to where you last stopped, EQ it, slow it down at various levels at the same pitch, enhance the bass and cut the bass too.

I'm starting to use this for playing along practice, cutting out the bass on some good jazz CDs and changing the keys and tempo vs. using the standard play-along stuff. Doesn't usually cut it all out, but does a good job.

www.Tascam.com

11. David Zox

David Zox

Dec 30, 2004
    In addition to the transcription in the Hal Leonard book, Bass Standards, I've seen a transcription of Ray's "How High the Moon" solo in Bassplayer Magazine. I think the same material is in John Goldsby's "The Jazz Bass Book". Apologies to all if I am not recallling the names of these books correctly... Also, in "The Improviser's Bass Method" from Sher Music, There is a transcription of Ray's incredible bass line on "Little Darlin' " . There is also a transcription of Ray's playing on "Killer Joe" in Todd Coolman's book "The Bass Tradition". these things are a testament to what an INCREDIBLE bassist and musician Ray Brown was/is...

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I play full time and I have as little time for anything extraneous as CF at this point.

Not saying the RB's bass lines are extraneous to my existence -- but I have plenty of irons in the fire as I'm sure all the other full and non-full timers here have. This is a great place to get questions answered that you can't answer yourself, but asking for people to do your homework is a little above and beyond what you can expect from anyone.

13. mack56

mack56

May 15, 2005
    Switzerland
    What would you expect that I should pay? 10 bucks? 20 bucks? for one piece?

Regards
    mack56
    Switzerland

14. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Certainly, looking at other people's transcriptions is about 1/100th as productive as transcribing it yourself.

That said, there would be value in looking at other people's transcriptions as long as it was in addition to doing your own, no?

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I charge $50/hr for lessons. I could work with you at that pace. How many choruses is the cut, and how clear is the bass in the mix? We could even do an hour's work, and if you're happy with the results we can discuss finishing the project. Unless, of course, I get it done in an hour -- which is possible given how much I've listened to Ray. I can almost sing his lines as he's playing them.

You might want to consider having the fingering written out for you as well.

:)

16. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    i'm not sure if we're having a debate about transcribing or making fun of people who study music casually, but regardless, how about we change the topic to Ray Brown's bass lines...

i dig 'em

:D

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I agree -- to a point.

I think it's also fair to shed a little light on (what I perceive) as an attitude about what we do. If an 'advanced amateur' thinks so little of professional musicians, it's time for some correcting. Would I expect a straight answer from, say a tax lawyer, if I were to ask him to do my annuals as he 'is a pro and I really don't have time for that stuff -- being a amateur and all..'?

That's my point and all I have to say about it. Case closed. If I misunderstood TACT56, then I apologize. However, there ain't a lot of wiggle room in his comment.

18. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    While you're certainly correct, the original poster wasn't asking for anyone to go about transcribing Ray Brown's music for his benefit, but rather to point him to whatever transcriptions may be available online. At least, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't expect another bassist to do it just for him, as his later reply might indicate.

In any event, it's true that doing your own transcriptions works on an entirely more fruitful level than acquiring and reproducing sheet music. No matter what your time demands, if you have time to play the bass you have time to deepen your understanding of music via transcribing, even if it seems a daunting task at first.

19. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    It doesn't really matter whether the guy asked for someone to transcribe for him or otherwise, both are cheating. Nobody wants to play with a lazy musician, because those who do put in lots of time and work can tell the difference right away between someone who has done the same and someone who was lazy and didn't do things for themselves, and let me tell you, it's a big big drag to have to deal with that crap. If you don't want to put in the time and effort yourself, why bother?

Even if you were to transcribe one or two choruses of Ray Brown on whatever tune you'd have enough to work with for a week (for example, take the tune through the keys, figure out what the changes are, learn the melody in all keys). Transcribing is ear training, and to play this (any) kind of music, one MUST go to great lenghts to develop a strong ear. Think of your ear as a big balloon. Every time you transcribe something you're filling it up, thus making it BIG. Ray had HUGE ears, and so did pretty much everyone he played with.

When you transcribe you learn so much. You start hearing different intervals, as well as rhythms and feels and sounds. If you practice this enough, you'll be able to hear things as they happen on the bandstand, and if you have BIG EARS, it makes others want to play with you, and you'll get called.

Of course, all this means nothing if you don't love what you do and you lack ambition to tackle the greats of this (any) music.

20. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Thanks Alexi and Jeff and Lucas, some good stuff there, I can't wait to work on the Nostalga in Timessquare, current fav....

A question for you big time transcribers:
    - What do you call those CD players that will let you loop a given part of a song? Can you suggest a workable less expencive model?