Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stangg, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Stangg

Stangg Guest

I'm going to get a new bass, and so far i'm kind of leaning towards the epiphone t-bird, but there's one company i have yet to try. ibanez. what are some of the good and bad points of ibanez basses, and what do you think of them?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Search the archives of this site; there's a ton of opinions regarding Ibanez instruments. Regarding the Soundgears: I personally hate them. The necks feel insubstantial, the electronics on most of their models are very generic-sounding, and their 5 and 6 strings feature some very cramped string spacing. On the other hand, the pencil neck and small, beveled body may count as pluses for beginners and smaller players. A lot of people buy them to start on and move on to something more substantial in a few years. Ironically, the two Ibanez basses I did like were discontinued very quickly into their production runs: the USATK series (a US made Musicman-inspired axe codesigned with Dave Bunker) and the S series, a MIJ model, which, like the Ibanez S g*****rs, had an anorexically thin mahogany body.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    If you consider an Ibanez, I'd strongly encourage you to get one built before 1987. More specifically, a Roadstar or Musician bass. They are very well built and sound great. Also, they can be had fairly inexpensively.

Will C.:cool: