1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Searing, high-gain dirt, it's there somewhere...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CrispyDelicious, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Opinion time, folks! I'm looking for the most in-your-face, brain-melting, searing, high-gain dirt out there. Something with crystal-clear note definition, and gain out the wazoo. I've been listening to sample after sample, but to my dismay, dirt samples on bass are played... bass-like! I'm having trouble finding bass samples played in the higher register, especially on 6+ string basses. I want to be able to turn my 6er (at least temporarily) into a high-gain, lead guitar wankfest (I have the range, so why not?). To top it off, fuzz seems to be the drink of the day, but all the fuzz I've heard lacks the note definition I'm looking for. Nothing I have played or heard as yet (fuzz or not) has the "bite" that I am looking for. Where to look?

And dag nabbit, don't tell me to play guitar! :p

2. Sounds like you're looking for "Distortion" as opposed to "Fuzz". The only real distortion I've played is the Rat, which can definitely get high-gain, but I don't consider it searing. Searing usually means mid-scoop in my experience. I've heard good things about the Boss ML-2 Metal Core, which I think is supposed to be their highest-gain pedal. It has a brutal mid-scoop from the clips I've heard

3. Thanks, I should clarify, this would be used strictly for lead/solos. I really am aiming to emulate a "metal guitar" lead tone. I will definitely check out those two.

The hunt beings anew!

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Have you considered using an octaver w/ a dirt pedal, like a Micro Pog with +1 octave (w/ or w/out the dry) while using a RAT?

5. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  6. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Check this out..

Visual Sound Jekyll&Hyde soundclips

Listen to the Hyde channel.. I think that's great for leads. They also make the single Hyde channel stompbox, it's called the Son of Hyde.

7. BEAUTIFUL.

:hyper:

THAT'S what I'm talking about!

8. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    I know I keep being a bit of a relentless advocate of the guyatone TZ-2 fuzz,... but I only really plan on using mine for 'lead' places and to get some high gain parts in the song,... can get drowned out of the mix but with the octave up diode effect thing it has the high strings above the 12th fret really give great note definition on bass and let it squeal a bit more,... it may not be exactly what your looking for,...

have to agree,... that visual sound is insane,... especially with the wah as well! *goes off to check it out*

9. jhan

jhan Guest

In my experience, "brain-melting, searing, high-gain dirt" and clarity is often hard to achive. But still, you might want to check out an MXR Blowtorch. They're good at the aggressive high-gain thing. Also, EBS makes a great overdrive pedal - very versatile. Lots of great comments about that one. I've tried and loved it. Probably going to get one.

10. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    The Gemini Drive has a LOT of gain and can definitely do what you're talking about.

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    tech 21 XXL bass. can't get much more biting than that!

12. You mighn't have clips of yours yet, would you Mr Collins?

13. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    dangit, i blew it and sold it to another TBer

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Maybe something like this? Listen to part from 3:35 on:

It's in the upper registers of a six-string bass, but I'm not positive if it's the sound you're thinking of.

15. Hey yeah! That's what I'd like to see more of in demos. Exactly what I'm searching for. The dirt wasn't exactly what I'm after, but the high end work is right on the money.

16. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    +1. You took the words right out of my mouth!

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Agreed - the Guyatone sucks low end, but is really ultra heavy yet still defined and could be just what you're looking for. Cheap too, I got mine in brand new condition for £25 delivered!

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You might actually like the boring ol' Boss MT-2 then. I was using my Boss VF-1 for that clip, but the MT-2 can make that sound and add additional distortion/dirt in there. It's not an overdrive sound though, and it seems you might mean a really high-gain overdrive. Wish I recorded some stuff with my Bassdrive when I had it :D

19. +1 on that reminds me i need to get some new strings dirt + old strings or flats sound baaaaaaad with distortion

20. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Archers are attacking your landmine!

prolly a sign that you should do clips... ;)