Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sears Roebuck 200 BXL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hell_awaits, Oct 27, 2000.

1. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    I recently aquired a Sears Roebuck 200 BXL solid state bass head. A friend of mine who works for the City found it on the job when he was cleaning out the garage of a some deceased guy. Undoubtedly this thing is older than I am, so hopefully someone here has more info on it.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I rented one of those about 114 years ago. It was loud (back then). I was young (back then). I don't remember what it sounded like (even now).

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think this was an early amp built by David Nordschow, now CEO of Eden Electronics. I'd hang on to it.

4. If I remember correctly the sears BXL series were covered in a dark army green color is that right? My buddie's parents bought him one In in like 1970 boy does this bring back memories It seems to me his came with a rather large cab something like 6 tens or twelves.

5. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    Yes! Its got three knobs, volume, bass, and treble [​IMG] . I'm in the process of removing the layer of filth on the exterior, and it looks pretty damn good so far. I honestly don't think this relic saw much gigging. Can anyone refer me to someone who might know more about this head? Thanks.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Do a search on "Sears BXL amp". I found lots of hits.

7. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    First, sorry for topping such an ancient thread, but I recently came into an old Sears 60 BXL Combo and can't find a schematic anywhere. It's non functional (speaker is good) and the circuit looks fairly simple (solid state). Does anyone have ideas for where I might find it? Even one for another BXL would give me a clue. Thanks!

John

8. It was nice to come on here and see people writing about one of my favorite amps. I use to like using four of the heads and four of the two 15' two 12' cabinets and using the BXL 60 combos as side monitors. I made a habit of buying them whenever I saw them. I like to take the 200 BXL chassis and slide it into the BXL 60 combo amp and use a four ohm 15". Chris

Attached Files:

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Laughing house? I know of a band by that name....

10. That would be us, defenders of all the red headed step children of the amplification world. Sears, Baldwin, Multivox, Teisco, Kay, Harmony. They all have their place in this world.

11. HEHE....I have very fond memories of a Baldwin Exterminator.....;) Actually a damn fine amp in it' day!

cheers!!

12. RED J

RED J I ain't ready for the junkyard yet. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    I knew someone who had one, and sat in at their practice one day. I recall it being loud, but tonewise not so great. Seems like I remember the cabinet was kind of flimsy and resonated along with the speakers.Distant foggy memories FWIW.

13. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    With songs like "Wasted" and "Decline and fall?"

I thought they were based in England in the 1980's...

But i want to see some of your gear.

I've got a Multivox amp. It does great cleans.

14. You left out Supro. My 1st amp was a Supro Thunderbolt 15" combo.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it's too bad there's no modern day equivalents. all the cheap amps use transistors now, and reissues of cheap store brand tube amps would probably cost $3000 now ;)