1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sears = worst shopping experience ever.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Heard through the grapevine that they're in serious financial trouble and after going through this experience, I'm inclined to not be surprised in the least.

Wanted to buy a specific dishwasher. Called 5 stores (3x) and nobody answered, ever. Called their main 1-800 number and asked them to point me towards a store that has it in stock and apparently they lack the ability to do this. Huh? OK, I order it through their main office with my Visa which is charged right away. That was on the 5th and I was told that it should arrive on the 9th at the store. We're the 18th and it still hasn't showed up.

Got fed up with this BS and found the exact same model 50$ off at another huge regional chain that had it in stock. Drove up, paid, and brought it home.

I call Sears to cancel and get refunded, but they state they can't because it's in transit... which they've told me since the 5th. Now, their opening an investigation to find out where the item is. Apparently, I'll only be able to get refunded once it comes back to the warehouse. So I need to wait for it to finally arrive at the store (if ever) after which it'll need to be re-shipped back to the warehouse. Once it's confirmed as being received back, I'll get my money back.

What... the... @$%^?

So many fails...

1. 5 stores called multiple times with no answer.
    2. Impossible to check store stock from main office.
    3. 13 days after order (and 9 after the promised deadline), still no dishwasher.
    4. Item found cheaper elsewhere...
    5. ...and in stock.
    6. Can't get refunded right away even though they KNOW I never took possession of the item.
    7. Need to wait a few days for an update.

Every single person I've spoken to has been wholly unhelpful and dismissive about the issues I've encountered. No apology has been given, either. It's been an absolute polar opposite experience at Leon's (the other store). Whether on the phone or in person, everybody's gone the extra mile with a smile and there's been absolutely no wait time whatsoever on the phone.

Incredibly frustrating and regardless of the outcome, I'll make it a point never to shop at Sears ever again. They're flawed in so many ways and frankly won't weep if they ever declare bankruptcy.

2. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Sears has been on their deathbed for years. The only time I will set foot in one is to buy a tool, an appliance or a lawnmower. I've learned to expect zero customer service and my expectations are almost always met.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wow, that is terrible. I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble. I don't blame you for being frustrated and taking your money elsewhere. The refund situation is very unfortunate, but I can see how it would have to work that way from Sears end.

As for us, we bought a lawn tractor from them last month. Our experience was exactly opposite. Excellent customer service on the phone to find the one I wanted in stock locally, then even better service from the staff at the location we went to. When I told our salesperson I would need to buy a gas tank, she grabbed a big one off the shelf, had one of her guys fill one with gas and give it to us for free. I was also impressed how knowledgeable the young woman was about lawn tractors, yard maintenance, and engines in general.

I always buy Craftsman tools. Hopefully those tools stay around even if Sears goes under. That will be sad if they do since they have been around for so long.

-Mike

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Call your credit card company dispute the charge and have them remove/refund it.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    It still doesn't make sense to me since they have proof I never took possession of the item (i.e. Sears - warehouse or store - still has it). I'm arming myself with patience but my blood is boiling and we're talking about 900$, here. :(
    Not that simple as they have a very specific rule that the merchant has 90 days to produce the item and will therefore not take any action until 90 days after purchase, so October 5th in my case.

Disgusting, but that's how it is.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Mine would too buddy, but since it isn't my money being held hostage, it is easier for me to make sense of how they are handling it. Hang in there, go catch up on some NHL offseason news to take you mind off it. Before you know it, you'll have your refund.

-Mike

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Wow. We're just emerging from a similarly stupid scenario. My wife went to Sears for a washer & dryer. Makes a deal on a set, including buying the 3 yr warranty. Salesperson tells her if she buys that day, there's a 6-month no interest deal, but the next day it would be 12 months no interest. She signed up for the 6-month deal and they also agreed to no shipping and set up charge. They agreed that she could come back the next day and cancel that deal and get the 12-month deal, so that's what she did.

She came back and they agreed to the 12-month deal EXCEPT for the free shipping and set up that was agreed to the day before. She said, "you're really gonna screw up a $2,000 deal over $49?". They did.

She went to Lowe's and found a better washer for less money with 18 mo no interest financing, but couldn't find the dryer she wanted. Sears salesperson (after apparently looking at the gobs of money we've spent there over the years) called back and said they'd be willing to include free shipping. Wife explained that we already had a washer coming but she'd still be interested in the dryer.

So fast forward to last Friday.....Sears delivery truck shows up with a washer. We ordered and paid for a dryer. So they try again Monday. And they (same driver and helper) come back Monday with........the same washer! Tuesday we go to the store and wifey rips salesperson and manager new orifices. Manager explains that she has an email from the warehouse manager ASSURING her that they had located the dryer and would ship it the next day (Wednesday).:rollno: I ask that before anything got shipped, they needed to have someone physically look at the "dryer" and text a cell phone pic to us to verify.

This morning the manager calls my wife to say they were mistaken and that the dryer was not in the load (iow - they were about to deliver the washing machine a 3rd time, but caught it). They eventually found the dryer, tucked in with a bank of washers and arranged a special delivery to make certain we got it. When the dryer finally arrived, it had all the paper work on it identifying it as a washer.

At this point, the department manager has promised us a $25 gift card, the corp office (wife called them after the 2nd wrong delivery) has promised a $75 gift card, and the store manager is now saying he will reduce the price a bit.

8. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

Nov 24, 2006
    I've been done with Sears for about five years now. Ever since they kept screwing up two accounts I had with them and then sending collection agencies after me. Then they completely lost track of our accounts and our payments weren't recorded for an entire year!!! They sued us, took us to court. The judge was amazed at the paperwork SNAFUs committed by Sears so she decreased our balances and we agreed to pay off in ten months.....................They even sent out our summons by some creep on Easter Sunday morning..............
    I refuse to go in to a Sears. Will never buy Craftsman products (I like Kobalt products better anyway), or anything from Sears.
    I hope they go bankrupt and fold right up and vanish into the sunset........The &^%&$^#%**%^$**^$%^ morons!!!

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Crazy, guys!

Saw some other Sears stories that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Way out there.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Sears sucks.

I remember going with my brother to one of their stores in the Twin Cities a few years ago. All he needed was a single stinking vaccuum cleaner part. By the time we found the department, ran down someone to help us and a bunch of other B.S. it was at least an hour spent on a transaction that should have taken 5 minutes. On top of which the store was just nasty dirty inside and looked like it hadn't been upgraded since about the mid-80s.

I don't think he's been back there (or any Sears store) since, and I don't blame him.

11. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    TIP: Always pay with Amex if possible. Those folks are bulldogs when it comes to protecting cardholders. If you paid with any credit card, just dispute the charge and go on about your business.

12. I'm with Mike. I only set foot in Sears if it's for tools. If it's for certain tools (screwdrivers, ratchets) I only buy Snap-On.

13. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Yeppers, AMEX has gotten some people's attention for me several times over the 23 years that I've had that card. I always try to use it for anything substantial.

14. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    IKEA, or their "sales people" or "management" did similar to me and my wife when we were buying kitchen cabinets. How they treated us made us walk away from about 8k in kitchen cabinets because, among other things, of about $50 of drawer pulls.

My wife and I are in process of renovating our house and kitchen is one of the things that is being renovated. We like the IKEA cabinets so we thought of buying the cabinets there.

How it works is you go to IKEA website, design your kitchen in their CAD online tool, you save it and go to the store and they, in theory, have the parts list for your kitchen. So they don't have a lot of work in compiling the parts list or anything else except, gathering the boxes and taking your money.

We designed the kitchen, went to the store, found an kitchen associate around 12:30PM and started.

First: they didn't have the lazy suzan part for the corner cabinet, when we asked when would it be back in stock, they didn't know (that would be the reoccurring theme in this adventure), their brilliant solution was that we should buy the regular shelf, install it, than buy the lazy suzan part when it is back in stock, and than install it. To do that we would have to disassemble the whole kitchen because it is the corner cabinet. OK, whatever.

Second: we wanted matching appliances. They only had the cooktop, but not the built in microwave or the oven. When we asked when would it be back in stock, they didn't know. Can we buy one of 9 display models, they said no. Call for the manager, manager checks stock, has no idea. We ask is it being discontinued, still no idea. Can we reserve/buy it today and pick it up later? Nope, it is impossible, manager said. Even the display models. By this time I was ready to leave, but being married and it's my wife's kitchen I kept my mouth shut.

Third: we get over that, and say whatever we'll just get the cabinets they have in stock. Associate says go pick up your handles, we go the handles section and they don't have the handles we wanted there. We ask the associate where are those handles? Oh those handles, they are being discontinued, so they are sent to as-is section. Can she call and ask the as-is section to set aside about 20 of them for us? No, it is impossible. Call the manager. Manager comes, same story, it is in fact impossible to call a department in the same f-in store to see if they have the handles and set aside for someone that is about to pay 8k for a kitchen. OK, we ask if we can have the display model handles, because those particular handles were used on most of the display kitchens and there were more than we actually needed. Well, those are reserved for a customer. SO it is possible to get the display models and to reserve items in IKEA, but just not for us. So we were lied to, too.
    That was at 4PM, my wife and I left that store.

After that my wife was writing emails daily to IKEA corporate, it took them 3 weeks to respond. The only thing we managed to get is a $100 gift card.

I am still not buying the kitchen at IKEA

SEARS maybe sucks, IKEA is way worse.

I don't understand how in this economy a business can let a customer, that wants to spend relatively large sum of money at their store, just leave because they get frustrated with service.

15. My parents went there for a whole set of kitchen appliances. Sears was awful with it. They didn't know their appliances from their *****.

16. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, I like the Kenmore name brand. My personal preference is to get a discontinued floor model because I'll get a lower price because it is discontinued and then I'll get a discount for it being a floor model. If it's not in stock, I don't bother special ordering anything. I'll just go to another Sears store, Lowe's, or Home Depot.
    As for the sales associates not knowing anything, I usually go in with some research through Consumer Reports before I buy anything. One name brand can make a good refrigerator of one size and an awful refrigerator of another size.

17. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    +1

18. I don't go there all that often, but I've never had a negative experience at Sears. Just lucky, I guess.

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    in bold......

Exact same approach my wife took with our Sears adventure. She used Consumers Reports to identify the LG models she wanted. They were being replaced by newer models and she picked the floor models at Sears, getting the outgoing top of the line, double discounted. Then adding the extended warranty so the total price was similar to the original NEW price, but with a 3-year warranty, so still a lot of $$.

20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

Yep. That right there^ roll over, go back to sleep.