Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seasonal prefrences?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Feb 13, 2001.

1. I dont know about you guys but certain bands i really love come winter and certain bands i reallylove come summer, i get in different moods, anybody else the same way?? or am i more retarded then i think i am?

2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    its odd and hard to explain but i can relate to that, i think it might have something to do with what time of year it was when i first heard the band. maybe not. i dont know, i know that i get really into the meat puppets during the summer and less during the winter, i have no idea why, maybe its just the imagery that the music evokes when youre listening to it

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    One of my greatest joys through the winter is when at nighttime outside the weather is terrible,I wear warm clothes and have a cup of hot coffe in my hand,I stand by the window and llok outside,while the lights are off and the stereo plays Theatre of Tragedy's Velvet Darkness They Fear at maximum volume.Ahhh,now these are the moments that I say life is definately worth living...

4. Yep I agree season has quite a bit to do with what I listen to.

Oh just some information it may not be useful but it is in my head anyway.
    A lot of African tribal and I think Asian music is related to the time of year and is supposed to represent it somehow in the rythms and melody or so I learnt when I studied music back at school so possibly this is something that has carried over in certain types of music that we listen to. Probably the best example would be in jazz as it trys to produce a mood in the music also Vivaldi's 4 seasons try to produce exactly what it's name says these aren't tribal or Asian pieces but they surely would have been influenced even if not directly by those forms of music.

Oh I may be wrong about Vivaldi that could be just four pieces of music put together on a CD titled "The Four Season's" not quite sure but I sort of can see it in the music or maybe it's just me.

5. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    My favorite and most peaceful thing to do is sit out on my poarch or go for a drive all done at night and listen to a melodic cd like Radiohead or the Deftones White Pony. That's my addiction and is what really makes me happy.

For me it's important to surround yourself with right music that moves you, whatever that music may be. Most of the time I think it is influenced by the season and whether. Great topic

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Summer Summer Summertime. I like it 85 degrees or hotter! I really should move. ;)

7. hey punk thats interesting about the Asian and african music.

Ok what about memories, i bought Binaural by pearl jam and listened to it all summer, as soon as fall hit i stoped, i put it on the other day and i get memories of like everything i did, and i forgot all about!

8. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    I can certainly relate to that funkopotimus. There's quite a few artists and songs that I listen to purely for the memories they envoke. When I lisen to The Bad Brains I against I Album I feel like I'm 13 all over again :)

As far as seasonal goes, Waiting for the sun by the Doors always gets major rotation during winter time at my house. Whenever it's a gray rainy day, Morphine. I usually go through a Cure phase during the fall, and summer's all about the Parliament...

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Reminds me of when I had the Real People's What's On The Outside blasting all summer a few years ago, but got it scratched badly soon after. I heard the album in my friend's house at Christmas, and it seemed strange to hear songs I had been sitting out in the garden listening to in the middle of winter. Or when I listen to Oasis's live album now - I was at the gig it was recorded at, and it was a beautiful day, so the album reminds me of sitting in the sun at Wembley.

Another sort-of related thing is when my band went into a studio last July. It was probably the hottest day of the year, and while we were being mixed, we sat outside and listened to Echoes, which someone nearby was blasting out of their windows. We went back about a week into this year, and it was a real shock sitting in the control room shivering.

I can't wait until summer. Yesterday felt really summery - as I was going home in bright sunshine, I noticed an ice cream van driving by, and some kids playing cricket. Aaah, such an enduring image...

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Come to think of it, I am a very seasonal listener. In summer I love the heaviest metal, techno and rap metal. In winter I go more for light jazz, some classical and movie soundtracks. Of course, at Christmas, I listen to that music and have a huge collection of holiday CDs I've accumulated over the years. I love to decorate the house while listening to that genre. Funny thing, though, as soon as the gifts are opened, I can't stand another Christmas song. Then it's time to tear open the new CDs I got for as gifts and start listening.

jason oldsted