Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seasonal set up changes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nanook, Jun 11, 2001.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I couldn't believe it!

I had set my Yamaha TRB-6P aside for about 4 weeks to concentrate on my Rickenbacker 4003.

When I picked it up a few days ago, the strings were nearly touching the frets and the buzz made it unplayable. It was set up perfectly when I last played it. There were changes in the Rick too, but nothing this radical. It will take a major torque rod adjustment to correct it. Maybe the massive neck on the Yamaha is more susceptible to climatic changes.???

During those 4 weeks, the only change is that we went from +20 degrees F and no humidity to +70 degrees F and 70% humidity. Since the instrument never left my house, where the temperature is constant, the humidity must be the culprit.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it something that is common to the Arctic?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just adjusted my No Sweat (7-piece maple neck, neck-thru contruction) for the summer. I usually have to adjust it with a 1/4-turn, making the neck straighter, and undo it in winter. This is probably the usual amount of adjustment. 2 or 3 might still be ok too.

But it depends on weather conditions and neck construction. One-piece (flatsawn) necks probably shift the most. Also, large shifts could be caused by wood that hasn't been dried enough in the factory (usually a problem with the big companies like Ibanez, Yamaha).

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I finally had time to do the adjustment and it went well. 1/2 turn on each of the two torque rod nuts and it is just right.

That brings up another question. the rod on the lower (small string) side of it (6 string yamaha) was considerably tighter than the upper rod.

Maybe that makes sense since there would be more tension there. Still, shouldn't the tension on both rods be equal?

Can someone help me out here?