1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seasoned Rickenbacker Players come here please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bra5am, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bra5am

bra5am

Nov 21, 2006
    I am getting a 4003 on tuesday and I was tryign to figure out if ill need to take the pickup guard off.

I play a lot of slap and fingerstyle so I figured it might hinder me, but Idk what do you guys think?

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I actually like mine on, but it's up to you. If you like it better off, then get a pickguardian. http://pickguardian.com

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    take the bleeping pickup cover off

4. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I play half fingerstyle/half pick and like it on. My thumb anchors on the edge of the pickguard above the neck pickup when i'm playing with my fingers. When playing with a pick, it's great to rest your palm on.

I don't see how it would get in the way for slap - your hand should be around the edge of the fretboard for that.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Try it first, see how it feels. I personally couldn't play with one installed.

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I took the cover off mine instead of adapting to it. before removing it though I would have this:
    ric_pickguardian.

in hand from pickguardian as it is kinda sharp around the edges.

7. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Never bothered me.

8. I have left mine on and it has never bothered me---in fact it is pretty handy if you go to pluck with fingers and thumb. I wouldn't think slapping would get in the way---but try it out for yourself. Everyone puts their hands in different places, so what's good for one isn't for another.

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

I wonder what they're seasoned in.

Paprika?

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    lime & chili, bro. lime & chili. and fresh basil.

i left the cover on. it's a good guide and a good thumb/wrist rest to me, but it all depends on your specific playing style.

either way, don't forget to rock out.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

11. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I left mine on and play right in front of the cover. I rest my thumb on the E-string when playing other strings and sort of float / semi-rest on the pickguard cover while playing on the E. It hasn't really bothered me with it on.

I have thought of taking it off though, just to see if it would be even more comfortable than it already is... Oh... and to take it off... you just need a philip's head screwdriver.

12. I remember reading on the Official Rickenbacker forum that the cover actually serves some purpose with the magnetic field or something---can't remember exactly. If I have time I'll search that site.

13. You're referring to the older (and reissue) "horseshoe" pickup. The pickup thingy on the modern 4003 is . . . plastic. Although the base plate is metal and is used for a ground connection.

14. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I checked the plastic cover with my multimeter. It is conductive, so it is plated with something.

15. Yes----I checked the Ric forum and found that the cover shields the pickup from any "noise", but most who have removed it don't complain of trouble.

16. I'll accept your lime & chilli and add a little ginger & garlic.

:)

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I like the pickup cover on, but to each his own.

18. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I was tempted to remove it because I felt that it was in the way - namely it was sitting right where I normally play with my fingers. However, after a rather long honey moon I became accustomed to the cover. I now play between the bridge p. and the bridge itself as I like the aggressive tone it gets. For more mellow stuff, I play right infront of the pickup on the opposite sides... both places feel/sound sweet to me.

I'd recommend that you leave it on for a month or two and then make up your mind as to what you want to do.

oh, btw:

+1 to that :D

also forgot to mention that I play primarily finger style and I do occasionally slap on the Rick (but I'm more inclined to do so on my Fender). Neither styles are affected by the cover for me... depends on your own technique and positioning.

19. Chrome :)

Good call though. Checking it with the meter.

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've had 5 of them, and the cover came off all, UNTIL my newest one, where I decided to work around it. Took a few days to adjust, but I'm glad to have it on, for LOOKS. Totally personal preference, but it does look classier on, so there you go. Congrats on the bass, btw, welcome to the club.