1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seasoned Rocker Just Beginning

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by ancientrocker, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ancientrocker

ancientrocker supporting member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    My name in Tom and I'm from Oakland CA. I've always been a fan, but never a player. So at sixty-one I've taken up the bass. I don't know much and most of the jargon on this site escapes me. For example, what does "MIM" mean?

Because my hands are small I settled on an Epiphone EB-3. I noticed that not many of you are mentioning this bass. Is that because it is not a very good bass in your opinion, or is it better suited for a beginner? Give me some feedback.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the forum.

2. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Welcome. Lots of opinions here that are just as biased as mine.

mim =made in Mexico.
    The Gibson SG style basses are not overly popular due to the humbucker pickups being quite bassy (thus the "mudbucker" nickname....but for small hands they are great since they are mostly short scale necks.

3. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and for your help. Maybe you could clear up two more abbreviations? What's "CONUS" and "OHSC"

Also thanks for your feedback on the bass.

4. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    CONUS = Contiguous USA

OHSC = Original hard shell case.

5. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Welcome ancientrocker! Nothing wrong with that Epi EB-3. More people here have Fenders than anything else, so they are the brand discussed in the majority of the gear related threads. Still, that doesn't imply that one is better than the other. :)

6. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks to both of you, StevieMac and boynamesuse. I guess I was hoping for other EB-3 players, but I've been watching guys play fenders for a long time. I like fenders, my 50 ford has two of them lol.

7. boynamedsuse

Oct 13, 2010
  8. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Allow me to decipher another popular acronym on here “GAS” = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Seeing as you asked about CONUS and OHSC suggests that you are quite likely browsing the classifieds on here is which case you will almost certainly succumb to GAS at some point and your EB-3 will no longer be your only bass. :D

It will always be your first bass though so make sure you hold onto that one for sentimental reasons. :)

9. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    Ah! you got me. I must confess my first acquisition was a Fender Squire Jaguar Bass. However I have a built it brake on GAS. I retired living on a pension so I have to save up over time if I want to purchase anything else. I do like to browse to see what I can learn about equipment and instruments. Before I retired in November '12 I bought a Zoom B3 box for the drum machine. When and if I become a better player I would need to upgrade my amp. Just being 61 is also somewhat of a guard against GAS because I've encountered that road before. But thanks for the warning.

10. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    Is a neck with 22 frets considered a short scale? The EB-3 I have has two more frets then my Fender; seems like I'm in between a long scale and a short scale?

11. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    The scale of the instrument is the distance between the nut and the bridge. any scale bass can have any number of frets.

12. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    So both the EB-3 and the Fender Squire Jaguar are short scale at 34 in.

13. boynamedsuse

Oct 13, 2010
    Sorry ancientrocker, I totally messed up. I thought the EB-3 was a short scale (as I mentioned earlier) and it is not. :bag:
    Typically, short scale is 30" scale length, give or take. Number of frets is not part of that equation.

32" is medium scale and 34" is full scale or standard scale. Based on this, both of your basses are standard scale.

14. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    Yea, I thought I was confused. It's the EBO that is short scale. Thanks.

15. kevibass

kevibass

Sep 25, 2011
    southeast
    hey, good luck AR.
    what kind of music are you interested in playing?
    how about amplification?
    i have a 1978 Fender Jazz that i just luuuuuuvvvvv.

16. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi,

Because I am just learning the bass, amplification is not so much of a concern. I have a small Acoustic B20 practice amp. My musical interests are wide; everything from early 50's R&B and Rock'n'Roll to heavy metal. However I want to learn to play Rock'n'Roll and sixties and seventies Rock.:bassist:

17. Michael_STL_MO

Michael_STL_MO

Mar 20, 2013
    Hi i'm new is any one in this room???

18. Michael_STL_MO

Michael_STL_MO

Mar 20, 2013
    I really don't how to use this yet

19. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    Take lessons, get a lessons book, teach yourself the blues scale... ROCK!

20. ancientrocker

Mar 7, 2013
    Michael,

Go back to where you found this thread. At the top of the page on the left is a button titled "new thread". Press and introduce yourself; what your interests are; a question about something to do with the bass, ect. Others will reply and off you go.