Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seats/Chairs for Playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 6, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I just received an offer this afternoon to play in band where the lead singer and the back up singers are up front, in the spotlight. The backing musicians, (which I would be among), are behind them and are not required to stand all night.

Does anyone know of any chairs/seats, other than drummer thrones, which might be good for a guitarist or bassist while playing?

I don't want to look like I'm sitting on a folded chair. Something that allows you to be somewhat semi-upright would be ideal.

There was thread about specialized chairs for this, but that was back last year and I can't seem to find any with a search engine. (Most were for classical guitarists).

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was thinking that a tall bar stool might do the trick. It will be tall enough that you can kinda lean on it and then still be able to play without getting too tired. I'm a member now YAY. So now can I be invited to the social on friday.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    http://www.coscoinc.com/products/housewares/housewares.html

Go to the stepstools and look at #11-307. My wife brought one of these home so she could reach the top shelf in our bookcases. It's perfect for what you suggest. It's light, folds up, and has a padded seat. I have used it several times on acoustic gigs and for quiet "background noise" type gigs. I think she only gave like $20-$25 for it at Wallmart. Check it out.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Turock - What a coincidence! That's what I have now. And it is sturdy and lets you sit higher than a folding chair-type of seat.

That was a good suggestion. Thanks. The only thing is, I was trying to see if anyone might know so something more "stage worthy"/less industrial looking.