1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seattle area info (cost of living, etc)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jady, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have a job interview in Everett, WA (25 miles north of Seattle). It seems like a cool company and the pay will be better than what I am making now + great benefits. What is the cost of living like? How is the area north of Seattle?

I know the music scene is pretty good and I love the climate, scenery, coastline and whatnot but the cost of living has me concerned. The COL websites I have visited say that it is either a little more or a little less than Modesto, CA where I am now.

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I don't know about Seattle, but Spokanites (other side of the state, and bleeding red for sure) hate Californians. I'm a transplant from the east coast and live hear because I can't afford Seattle. I don't hate Californians, but the rednecks in this town do.

Seattle is pricey and the traffic sucks, but I don't think that it is any worse that Modesto.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Who cares if sonics are leaving...

:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

Keep the sonics in SEATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Now watching sonics destroy the warriors... woopie!

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Living in Everett, which is in Snohomish County, is way less expensive than Seattle (King Co.).

Everett used to be a very industrial city with the nasty smell of pulp and paper mills.

When the mills shut down Everett was left as kind of a ghost town. You can find some good houses at an affordable price and much lower property taxes.

Another benefit of Everett is you are closer to the north Cascade mountains. LOTS of nice hikes and camping! Good skiing at Steven's Pass.

The closer you get to Seattle the more expensive rent, housing becomes.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Jady - if you come to town for an interview, see if you can spend an extra day. if I'm in town I'll take some time out to show you around the Everett / North Seattle area. I currently live right by that "biiiiiiiig manufacturing plant" on the south end of town

all the best,

R

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Would that be the world's largest free-standing building that recently had an airline pilot fired for a 28' fly-by?

I so want to move back to Washington...

8. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Cool man I will. I have a phone interview in the next few days and then we'll see what happens.

9. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    let's just say that I can count the rivets when they're launching to the South ;)

all the best,

R

10. I think you will love it... especially being from Modesto. hehe

If you stay just north of the city the houses are reasonable. Just try and stay pretty close to where you work because traffic kinda' sucks in Seattle. I lived there from 90-92 and the traffic sucked then. I make it up there 2-4 times a year for business and am impressed how much, and fast, the city has changed since I was there. I love it... but I like Portland better.

If you can, try and move west closer to the water. Lynnwood and Mukilteo are very nice!

Don't forget Bass NW!

11. This would be a great move for you. Better paying job + cheaper housing = win. Plus your kids are young enough not to be overly upset.

lowsound

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I love Portland. I like it better than Seattle too. Progressive town. The free electricity for electric cars idea is cool. The urban growth zoning they do is progressive as well. Keeps the downtown are growing up instead of out. Powells Bookstore In P-Town is awesome. I also dig on the Lake Oswego area. Nice and green.

Bass NW is in Seattle and they are a great store to visit.

They are honestly both great towns though. As soon as I pick a career I'll be looking for a loft in either city, Portland more than likely.

13. I live near San Francisco now (and love it) and am looking to move into the city. But I would go back to Seattle with no regrets it's that great IMO. Great people, food, close to so much. Vancouver, BC is less than 2 hours away as is Portland, OR. If you're open-minded as are most people around that area you'll fit right in. When I lived there everyone had a running joke about more conservative people that "oh, they must be from the other side of the mountains" to describe them as backwards.

it all depends on what you make at the job and your lifestyle. Will it be 1 income or 2 in your household. If you make $45,000+ and want to live in a 2BR apt I can't see a problem. Keep an eye on the Seattle Times, Seattle PI, Craigslist & get an idea about rents. Also, for commuting I-5 is antiquated, it's too narrow (3-4 lanes) for the population of the area.

I lived in the area about 5 years ago and had a great deal on a 2BR apt with heat, water & cable for $575.00 a mo. That deal is not the norm but with diligent searching you can find a great price.